Home Forum Ask A Member Color of 1956 Javelin junction box

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    opposedtwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Wow! That is a beautiful combo! I’d leave that paint original just because “it’s only original once” as they say. I’ve seen a LOT of ‘56 javelins and that may be the best original paint I’ve ever seen. (Assuming it’s original that is…..) The pigment in that paint (‘56 holiday bronze) faded very quickly in the sun. I’ve seen a few faded so badly you could see the cream paint through the bronze. That one is nice!!

EDIT: can you provide some details on that boat? Or maybe a few more pictures? Man is that a pretty boat! 14 or 16 footer? What model is that one? Wood obviously, right?

mas
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

That’s what I’m talking about! Nice boat & motor combo. I think the ’56 Javelin might be my favorite motor. I’ve got a ’58 WgMkr Wolverine with a newly restored (museum quality) ’57 lark. I need to do a cosmetic restoration on the boat…very solid…just needs new paint and varnish. I wish it was next in line, but I’ve got more pressing home projects ahead on the list.

Boat looks like a 16 footer?? Is it?

Mas

outbdnut2
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Something a lot of people don’t know about those old boxes is that there is a cap on the bottom of the solenoid you can unscrew and remove with your fingers. There is a button under the cap you can push up on to crank the engine. By pushing it, you are manually pushing the contacts together to power the starter. Good to know if you have added a key ignition and lose the key, or have a malfunction with the wiring to the dash, the mercury switch on the throttle, or if the solenoid coil has gone bad.. Be careful, because it will crank regardless of the throttle position, as you are bypassing the mercury switch, so you could start it in gear at full throttle.
          Dave

Jeffrey Durst
          Participant

Here’s a few more pictures of the new boat. It was made by Wagemaker in Grand Rapids Michigan. The hull is cold molded plywood and the deck is mahogany. It’s 15 ft. long and weighs 400 lbs. I like to be able to go out boating by myself so I like a boat that is easy for one man to handle. I just got to take it out once before all of the Corona Virus craziness hit but I had no trouble getting it on and off the trailer solo. I really wasn’t in the market for another boat until I saw this little beauty pop up last summer. It was originally priced way out of my price range but it didn’t sell and I kept an eye on it until the price dropped in January to closer to my range. I went to look at it in February and fell head over heels. The Johnson wasn’t running at the time but it looked like it was in perfect condition but you never know. I made an offer and the owner was gracious enough to accept and I pulled it home that day. Two days later I had all the fuel lines cleaned out, the carb cleaned up, the wires all re-tipped and she fired up on the first go. “Sometimes even a blind hog finds and acorn” as my dear ole dad used to say…

Hey mas, how about showing us a picture of that ’57 Lark? Those are really beautiful motors!

bobw
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Beautiful rig. Looks like boat and motor both were well cared for. Congrats on a great find.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
              1954 Johnson CD-11
              1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
              1958 Johnson QD-19
              1958 Johnson FD-12
              1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
              "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

mas
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes, I like the 57 Lark too, but the ’56 Javelin is on my list.

The ’56 Lark is nice too, but I’m not too fond of the dark gray…

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by mas.
                mas
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Here’s a pic of my Wagemaker. I restored the Holsclaw trailer too. I’ve been sitting on the boat too long. I’ve certainly got an itch to get going on it, but it will have to wait.

Excuse my sac religion, but my ’56 Lark is in polychromatic blue. I’ve got a sweet spot for 56-57 OMC stuff.

Jeffrey Durst
                  Participant

Hey man, Those are certainly two very beautiful motors. I forgive you for the color change on the ’56. It looks magnificent! Did you do both paint jobs yourself? The Wagemaker looks like she’s a real beauty as well. Doesn’t look like you’re too far from having it finished.

mas
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I painted all the gray on the ’57 Lark myself…turned out pretty well. I tried to do the hood (most important part), but it proved more difficult and requested help from my friends. I got help for the ’56 hood as well.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by mas.
                      Jeffrey Durst
                      Participant

Hey Bobw, how’s your Javelin restoration coming? Maybe you could show us some pics! Question: Have you found a source for the rivets that hold the side chrome pieces to the cowling? I had to cut them off with a Dremel and haven’t found any replacement for them yet!

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.