Home Forum Ask A Member Columbian propeller race prop?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    whaler-jim
    Participant

Gentlemen,
      I have a Columbian JG two blade aluminum prop used on 60’s era OMC engines. It’s about 10 1/2 inch. in dia. but unknown pitch. It has a non cushioned hub. Would it have been used on the 36 class boats? Just curious. Thanks!

adam1961
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Hi Jim,
        It may be similar to the Michigan offerings for the 50’s and 60’s OMC products. If it is a right hand and has a pin drive at the trailing edge, then that sounds right.
        If you are looking to sell or trade it, I would be interested. I am always looking for new props to try on my 36 setup.

chris-p
        Participant

Very Nice Adam. When did you pick those up!?

adam1961
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

The one on the right is my Hal Kelly Mandcap, the one on the left is an Airborne that belongs to a friend and skilled builder/ restorer. He put the deck on my boat. I have had the boat about 2 years. It was started in the 80’s and never finished until I bought it. In the photo we are towing them behind his cruiser out to the "play area"

whaler-jim
            Participant

Adam,
              I had not thought about selling the prop but it’s not doing any good hanging on my garage wall. Nice boats in your photo. Might the Wet back have been at the Clayton race boat weekend a couple of years ago? I talked with a young Canadian guy there. I built Kelly’s "Junior Utility" many years ago and had great fun with it. I used the prop with a 33HP Johnson. It has one small nick on it’s leading edge.IMG_0011.JPG

Attachments:

adam1961
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Jim,
                That was me! My boat wasn’t there, as I finished it about a month after the regatta.
                There were two Airbornes there. The one pictured and another that belonged to the builders wife. Wetback was one of Hal Kelly’s hydro’s, but I can’t remember the class.
                That prop looks just like the Michigan AJC series. Is the hub solid? On my Michigan AJC props the hubs appear to have rubber in them. I do have one Michigan and one O-J that are solid hub, but of different design.

adam1961
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Here is a photo of the other props. These are the type that would likely have been run on the faster 36R boats. My experience has been that they are faster than the Michigan AJC series that I think were more for recreational use on light boats. Although I have not yet found a 16 pitch Michigan for my collection. The props pictured are marked 10×15 and 10×15.5 but the one on the right is faster and seems to tolerate more height.
                  Adam

Attachments:

whaler-jim
                  Participant

Adam,
                    It is a small world! Your right hand props have a small diameter hub. They appear to be more like a Mercury "quicky" lower unit diameter. What is your engine and lower unit ? This Columbian is a solid hub with a bronze/brass insert for a 3/4" shaft. The front edge diameter is 2 7/8". It was made for the standard shifting outboard lower units I think. Are you going to Clayton this summer?

adam1961
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Jim,
                      I will certainly be there for the race boat regatta, possibly the boat show as well.
                      The boat picture is the one on the left side in the photo of the boats being towed. That Merc pushes it a healthy 50mph.
                      Adam.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.