Home Forum Ask A Member Compact fuel filters

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    auldscott
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Givng up on ever getting my tanks perfectly clean, I put inline filters on my pea green Elgins. They are small and compact, sintered bronze filters.

They don’t look clogged after about 40 minutes of running, but they will no longer feed enough fuel to keep the engine running.

What do you use in your small motors? I want to keep the filters nearly invisible, so large auto-style filters aren’t suitable, and I have been thinking that the simple molded-mesh screen type won’t stop the small particles so I have not tried them.

Thanks.

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

you need to clean the tank. take it to a radiator repair shop to have it cleaned if you don’t want to do it yourself.

dan-in-tn
        Participant

Depending on your boating situation, you could try a boat mounted fuel filter. That way it is large enough to handle all your motors for some extended time. The smaller the filter the less time it will last (if it is doing its job)? You can get filters now down to 10 micron. That won’t even pass water I’m pretty sure, but the filter has to be large enough to trap the water at the bottom so fuel still flows. Just my opinion, I may be wrong.

Dan in TN

pappy
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The less gas you have in the tank the lower the head pressure at the filter. Some good filters may not pass fuel, dirty or not, unless there is either sufficient suction as with a fuel pump or with sufficient head pressure as from a full tank. Motorcycles, with their gravity fed systems, run into the exact same scenario. don’t the Elgins also have an in-tank screen?

green-thumbs
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Try dipping filter in jewelry cleaner. Not saying it will cure problem but it does a good job with
              dingy carburetor parts. The longer in dip the more etching so do not overdo it.
              Louis

reivertom
              Participant

I have used an in-line type filter they sell for lawn mowers, etc. They are clear and you can see if they are clogged without removing. Sometimes you can tuck them under a cover to hide them. Just put them pointing the right direction.

wedgie
                Participant

These are what I can get at my local Lordco. Seem to work fine, and are small enough to fit in the pan somewhere. Cheap too. I’ve seen some inline filters that are cylinders that are about the same diameter as the fuel line, but haven’t sourced those ones out .

amuller
                  Participant
                    quote auldscott:

Givng up on ever getting my tanks perfectly clean, I put inline filters on my pea green Elgins. They are small and compact, sintered bronze filters.

They don’t look clogged after about 40 minutes of running, but they will no longer feed enough fuel to keep the engine running.

What do you use in your small motors? I want to keep the filters nearly invisible, so large auto-style filters aren’t suitable, and I have been thinking that the simple molded-mesh screen type won’t stop the small particles so I have not tried them.

Thanks.

Tank not clean? Screen on tank fuel pickup missing or crudded up? Old hoses or primer bulb shedding particles? Screen on fuel pump inlet fitting OK? What does the carb float bowl look like? Fuel pump diaphragm? If your carbs have drains, do you use them? Usually an inline fliter can be cleared by (gently) blowing compressed air through backwards. but if your system is clean and you are filling the tanks directly from gas station pumps, you should be able to go for years between filter changes. JMO.

wedgie
                    Participant
                      garry-in-michigan
                      Participant

Lifetime Member

About pump gas …

I have a large funnel with 1000 mesh (100 X 100) copper screen filter soldered at an angle in it. With a film of oil, it WILL filter out water. I use it when ever I fill my tank, be it a separete 4/6 gallon tank or one on the motor. You would be shocked at some of the crap I have found in pump gas. Especially right after the station’s tank has been filled and the junk on the bottom has been stirred up. . . . 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.