Compatible?

Home Forum Ask A Member Compatible?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• wiscoboater

Replies: 739
    Topics: 126

Hello Gents,
    I have a 59 Evinrude 18 on an old wood boat. I have a chance to purchase a 68 evinrude 18 with electric start option. Will the 68 electric start parts be a direct bolt on to my 59? I love the 59, but my shoulder does not love pulling it over!! I’m getting older and would LOVE an electric start.

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

Hmmm, the 68 18hp has a plug connector for the harness in through the motor pan. Does it look like the 59 has a place in the lower pan where the plug connector could go through? If so, I’m sure the parts will swap OK. Do you have the boat harness for the 68?

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

I’d look out for the side brackets. Different hood mounts and different carb silencer come to mind.

wiscoboater

I thought about the pan harness access. No, it does not but I have hole saws and grommets. My biggest question is are the blocks the same as far as mounting bosses. If I have to drill and tap a few, no problem. I’m just wondering if they are there to do that? The starter brackets, did they change from 59 to 65?

chinewalker

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 459
    Topics: 15

Yes, it’ll bolt on. Block mounting points are the same.

bill-mcnamara

Canada Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 241
    Topics: 58

I did a similar swap from a ’61 e-start to a ’57 18hp manual Johnson a few years ago, worked perfectly.
    Think I had to add a bolt facing forward on the bracket to accomodate the rubber bumper for the cowl though.
    Also swapped the lower forward pan from a ’58 18hp with its modification for its "stop" button. The pin-plug from the ’61 internal harness fit right into the protrusion, so I had a quick disconnect, no holes to drill in the ’57’s pan, slick.
    So now I have a "hybrid" ’57-’58-’61 model.

phil-b

Replies: 463
    Topics: 28

The kill switch is located where the connector goes.

I’ve been thinking of the reverse (moving starter from a 1959 18hp to a 1961)

wiscoboater

The guy never called me back 👿 Sometimes I hate craigs list sellers 👿

wiscoboater

Good news! The guy finally called and I picked up the motor for $50. Turns out it was a 1961 , not a 68. I brought it home and in about an hour I had the electric start swapped onto my 59. Everything bolted right up, no problems or surprises and it works GREAT! Very happy boater today!

archangel

Replies: 118
    Topics: 21

That’s fantastic news! Happy resolutions to outboard issues give me hope and optimism that I can resolve my own. Enjoy the pain and exertion-free boating. It’ll make the day on the lake a lot more fun for you and those with you.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.