Home Forum Ask A Member Condensers for Evinrude Zephyr (4404)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Austin Bourdon
    Participant

Does anyone know what a replacement part number would be for the condensers on the 1947 Evinrude Zephyr (4404)? The end of the old one I have says 2MFD and my parts manual from 1947 says 201484 however I am not seeing results

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

201484 is a good part number, maybe No Longer Available.
        2 MFD is the capacity in Microfarads. Actually .2 (point 2), not 2

joecb
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Very common capacitor is .22MF …. from my experience you should be able to use about any common capacitor and your motor will be OK. There has been extensive discussion here about substituting modern metal foil capacitors, try doing a search. .22 MF will work in most cases.

Joe B

jeff-register
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Mumbles,
            Are you there to remind me on my research on caps?

2fast4me
            Participant

Mumbles,
              Are you there to remind me on my research on caps?

I will Jeff. Good job! Now maybe someone can post a link to that discussion. Jim

2Fast4Me

Austin Bourdon
              Participant

Thanks everyone! I was able to purchase new old stock of P/N 201753 which is the longer wire condenser

The Boat House
                Participant

dave-bernard
                  Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Wow that 88 is in great looking condition.

jeff-register
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Tubs,
                      Bet that cap would be the same for the 272, 292, & 312 the T-bird mtr. Maybe a 58 big block 332, early 390 block. Remember those??? I had a 57 Ranch station wagon, the two door version. Put a 1965 Mercury engine 390, trans & pumpkin even fit the axle splines. Stopped for a school bus & was rear ended. It was totaled……Now I am a old guy like the one who hit me. It was a fun build though!!!
                      Jeff

Mumbles
                      Participant

Thanks everyone! I was able to purchase new old stock of P/N 201753 which is the longer wire condenser

Before installing this NOS capacitor, it should be checked for its capacitance value as caps (condensers) do go bad over time whether they are being used or not. If it tests out of range or is leaking internally, club member Jeff Register working along with Digi-Key engineers came up with replacement modern axial film capacitors which can stand up to the beating a magneto gives them.

They are available in various uF ratings but 10, 15, and 22 uF caps can be used together to get the desired capacitance. If mounting is a problem, they can also be installed in the original can after it has been hollowed out.

Here’s some links to the Vishay .10, .15, and .22 uF caps:

https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/vishay-beyschlag-draloric-bc-components/MKP1839410084HQ/2260505?lang=en&s=N4IgTCBcDaIEYGMwDYAMB2AtAOwCYgF0BfIA&site=ca&x=23&y=19

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?mpart=MKP1839415084HQ&v=56

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?vendor=0&keywords=bc2609-nd

Vishay caps compared to a standard 580321 cap.

DSC01376

Installing in an old can.

Caps-In-A-Can

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.