Home Forum Ask A Member Condensers for Zephyrs?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    eltoquad
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I’m finally getting around to trying to get my ’45-6 Zephyr running and of course condensers are shot. Getting out my old tables of past posted condenser valus etc. it lists that motor as using .09 to .125 MFD condensers. My other printed list shows to use Echlin JP-232 condensers as a substitute (.12 MFD) In going to NAPA one store said he could not find such a listing and another NAPA store said they were no longer available?? So, what harm is done in using a condenser of higher value when motor won’t be used but very seldom? Or what one is available to use ?
      Thanks, Tom

Mumbles
      Participant

if you still have your original condensers, the guts can be taken out and a modern film style cap installed inside it. The mount on a Zephyr cap is different than regular OMC caps so it would be a bonus to use the original can with its mount to hold a replacement cap. Digikey has the needed caps rated at 0.10 uF which your motor requires. They can be found here: https://www.digikey.ca/products/en?x=23&y=19&lang=en&site=ca&KeyWords=bc2607-nd and you can change your choice of country by clicking on the three bars in the top left.

Whatever way you do it, get ready to do some soldering as the leads on the original Zephyr caps are quite long and any replacements will need the leads lengthened.

DSC00096

Caps-In-A-Can

eltoquad
        Participant

I bet the Evinrude mechanics hated to see one of those Zephyrs come in for a tune up!!! Never used one of those caps before. Can they just be mounted to the mag plate instead of putting them in the old condenser housing? Just ground one end, insulate other and hook up to points?

Mumbles
          Participant

Just ground one end, insulate other and hook up to points?

Yup, they sure can!

foot_doctor
            Participant

I would only advise you to be aware of the solid tinned copper leads on the replacement capacitors. Unless the leads are well supported, they are prone to work hardening and braking from engine vibration. When I have used them, I have soldered a stranded tinned lead to both leads near the cap. body, then grounding one lead and the other to the points. The caps. are sealed, and non-polarized so either lead may be grounded. R.T.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.