Home Forum Ask A Member cork floats

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    june
    Participant

I’m new to working on outboards and just rebuilt the carb on a 1973 Evinrude 9.5. The original float was cork and the rebuild kit came with an identical cork float. I did the rebuild before I joined AOMCI so was just Googling for info at the time and read that the cork should be coated with a fuel proof epoxy of some kind due to the ethanol in todays gas which would eventually break down the cork. I ended up using a light coat of West Sytems GFlex epoxy. I’m just curious if cork floats are common in older outboards and what others do the protect the cork from ethanol?

RICHARD A. WHITE
      Participant

Lifetime Member

Cork floats were indeed prevalent in the older outboards. One can use model airplane "dope" as it is called. It was used and still is when a model airplane builder would lay the covering over the wings and the body. The "dope was then used to seal the covering and it was then more rigid, almost airtight and best of all fuel proof. One needs just the clear model airplane "dope", and just dip the float, let it dry, and maybe dunk it again. Keep in mind that the hole thru some floats will get filled up with the product and need to be opened back up.
        Btw, welcome to this fine club.

Regards

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
        classicomctools@gmail.com

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I had a fun time finding airplane DOPE locally ( I did eventually)

I have read lots of comments about and… tried Krazy glue .

Couple of coats brushed all over the float has worked for me.

DO NOT INHALE the stuff ! Keep fumes away from the eyes and ventilate the work zone

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

june
          Participant

Thanks. It seemed OK w/the G-Flex & I had it on hand, but I was curious what method all you experienced guys use. My husband is an avid RC flyer so I bet he can get the model plane dope at the shop he goes to. One of his favorite planes is "The Icon" seaplane which is perfect so he can fly his plane while I tinker with the outboard out on the lake:)

johnny-infl
            Participant

June, if your husband has a 1/4 scale Piper J3 Cub with floats,
              ya’ll could make one fun day on the lake !!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh, I just remembered – – – you are Up Nawth, LOL.
              well, instead of floats, maybe skis would work ??

Welcome !!

beerman57
              Participant

I’m kind of surprised a rebuild kit for a ’73’ came with a cork float.

vintin
                Participant

I just sealed a couple of cork floats with POR-15 Fuel Tank Sealer. Got a pint for under $20 including shipping at Amazon. I’ve been reading around about it’s use for sealing cork floats and though I’d give it a try. Seems to go on very thin and has a water like consistency. A RD-19 cork float will fit into the can.

http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Fuel-Tank-Sealer_p_64.html

r-c
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

If you bought a new BRP kit, the coating on the new cork float has a special coating for the ethanol fuel. Compare it to the original and you will notice it has a slightly different color to it. Can’t speak about aftermarket kits.
                    All the other advise for older cork floats that may not be able to replace is good. Just be aware not to over coat it and make it heavier, were it will not float correctly and not shut off the inlet needle.

pappy
                    Participant

US Member

Also, in many cases, if you are rebuilding carbs and switching out the new style black floats…..keep them.
                      They can be re-shaped to fit many older engines thereby getting rid of the cork float altogether. I am doing this on any RD I come in contact with. The new style floats shape easily to fit without contacting the bowl.

r-c
                      Participant

Lifetime Member

Pappy is correct on that. The black ones last, what seems forever. I believe this material was developed for aircraft. Watch out for heavy varnish, the wieght problem again, but that can be cleaned off.
                        Sometimes you have to look elsewhere or be creative for a float. We found that the modern Yamato stock outboard race engines has a black float that you can shorten from the bottom on a surface plate with some 320 wet and dry to the length of an Elto poppet valve carb like a Speedster.
                        Same goes for the black Merc float that fits the Tillotsons fuel pump carb, can be shorten in this same manner to fit a gravity feed carb.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.