Home Forum Ask A Member cork floats

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    The Boat House
    Participant
      quote June:

I’m new to working on outboards and just rebuilt the carb on a 1973 Evinrude 9.5. The original float was cork and the rebuild kit came with an identical cork float. I did the rebuild before I joined AOMCI so was just Googling for info at the time and read that the cork should be coated with a fuel proof epoxy of some kind due to the ethanol in todays gas which would eventually break down the cork. I ended up using a light coat of West Sytems GFlex epoxy. I’m just curious if cork floats are common in older outboards and what others do the protect the cork from ethanol?

Sent you a PM
      Check your messages at
      the top of this page.

june
      Participant

WOW, you guys are awesome! It was a BRP kit. I did read about the tank sealer and may get some as my 1978 Honda CB400 tank could probrably use a coat too. The Gflex is pretty thin and is supposed to be fuel resistant and I really tried to make it a very thin coat and let it dry for over a week. I’ve only run the motor on the lake once in December, so am looking forward to really fine tuning it in the spring.

My husband would love to have a FULL sized Piper Cub! His father was a WWII fighter pilot and Mike just loves planes. He’d love to take real flying lessons, but time and money won’t let that happen. He has quite a collection of RC planes and he’s very good at flying them. It’s a great combo, his flying and my outboards!

garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

We have several airplane pilots in our Florida chapter. Steve Woods dad had a thriving business building wooden airplane propellers. Steve at one time piloted the Goodyear Blimp, among other aircraft. I love eating lunch with them at meets and listening to there "war stories".

. . . 😀

johnyrude200
          Participant

Great timing for this thread. It seems the only motors I work on, post 1960, that still require an OEM cork float are the 9.5 OMC’s circa ’64-73. Every other motor I work on (really up to 60hp) has aftermarket float replacements with the newer style black foam, and the OEM equivalent is also hard black foam material. Given that BRP seems to be determined to make the 9.5’s permanently obsolete by no longer supplying replacement parts (i.e. impeller housing grommet, motor mounts, etc), the float is a motor-specific part that is unique only to this line. Would be great to be able to re-coat the floats that have failed and reuse.

Now if only I could find an adequate replacement for the impeller grommet which is almost always missing. Gotta love the ‘mods’ people make to give the motor more air to breath and reduce the chance of it suffocating on it’s own exhaust.

Any opinions on how long this gas can coat lasts for?

The worst condition, other HP motors I work on (I’m talking either severely moused, sitting forever exposed to elements, or salted out) with the newer floats are always still in usable condition. The float is salvageable, the carb itself may very well be garbage.

sailor58
            Participant

I went to the local hobby store to buy some airplane ‘dope’. Was told by the young fella that, ‘"They don’t call it dope any more. It’s called sanding sealer." Not PC… 😕
              Larry

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Johnnyrude… "Given that BRP seems to be determined to make the 9.5’s permanently obsolete"

you getting me worried ….should I buy a float now or if ever I need one…for my " pristine 9.5hp 9623A
                just cut me up a little square block #0379154

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

chris-p
                Participant

Johnny Rude,

You can still get the 309830 exhaust boots and the 309631 shift rod boots here

http://www.nymarine.ca/grommets.htm

vintin
                  Participant
                    quote johnyrude200:

Any opinions on how long this gas can coat lasts for?

Looks like I’m the Beta tester. I’ll let you know!

quote crosbyman:

Johnnyrude… “Given that BRP seems to be determined to make the 9.5’s permanently obsolete”

you getting me worried ….should I buy a float now or if ever I need one…for my ” pristine 9.5hp 9623A
                    just cut me up a little square block #0379154

I’ve read where Balsa wood coated with POR-15 Tank sealer works like a charm. Google it.

Proceed at your own risk!

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.