Home Forum Ask A Member Cork Gasket Material

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    dougs-outboards
    Participant

I have been on a pressure tank revival trip these last few weeks, and have the parts I need for everything. I was driving thru the mall parking lot the other day, and saw a sewing supply place that also advertised "crafts". I wondered and went in to ask them if they carried cork board. They have a 2’x3′ piece for about $5, and they have 2 thicknesses, 2.5 and 3 mil.

I noticed from looking at and feeling it, that its not as dense and compressed as regular cork gasket material. Dunno if it will be airtight enough for a top tank gasket. And maybe the glue in it, as far as being affected by gas.

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with making cork gaskets out of this matierial?

I enjoy fine delicate work like making gaskets and such, but if I can learn from someone elses trial and error, that would be the way to go.

I think the last gasket I ordered from Sierra, was about $8-$10 and $8 shipping UPS if I remember right. The cork board would make many a gasket if the material works out.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Doug

Mumbles
      Participant

If it’s for crafts and such it might be too porous or the adhesives in it may break down from the fuel mix and leak. If you have a piece, try soaking it in gas for a while and see if it stands up. Another option is to try your local auto supply for cork gasket material designed to be used around gas. Mine carries small sheets of it and it seems to hold up well around gas or oil.

pappy
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Why not just purchase an original part?
          I can see doing what you are doing if you have to on a continual basis but that gasket you are replacing is probably over 50 years old already. Buy an OEM gasket and spread that cost out over the next 50 years (pretty cheap now isn’t it) and spend your time restoring other parts!

david-bartlett
          Participant

+1 on what Pappy said.

I keep some cork gasket material on hand for those repairs that I need to do "now" or for those obsolete items, but for pressure tank gaskets, OEM is my first choice. I will likely not need to replace them again in my lifetime.

melugin
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I have some OEM gas tank gaskets which aren’t too old. I’m afraid that the binder used with the cork may not be compatible with our present fuels. I coat the gaskets with gas tank sealer before use.

pappy
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I haven’t seen that with the gasket. Then again I and most that I know are running ethanol free gasoline.
                When you think about it if the gasket is properly torqued the fuel should not reach the entire gasket surface either.
                Like your idea though on the tank sealer! I have had a bottle of "Gasoila" in the fridge for years now and that may be a nice use for it. Certainly can’t hurt.

jerry-ahrens
                Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Years ago, I made a template for that gasket out of some thin cardboard. The same thing that is on the back of a spiral notebook. I buy the cork at Oreilly’s in a roll and make my own using the template. After you trace it out, you can cut out most of the gasket with a pair of scissors. Use a hole punch for the mounting screw holes. Myself, I prefer the thicker cork.
                  I don’t think I would use the craft cork material, as it will crumble much easier than the automotive stuff.

PugetSoundBoater
                  Participant
                    quote Pappy:

I haven’t seen that with the gasket. Then again I and most that I know are running ethanol free gasoline.
                    When you think about it if the gasket is properly torqued the fuel should not reach the entire gasket surface either.
                    Like your idea though on the tank sealer! I have had a bottle of “Gasoila” in the fridge for years now and that may be a nice use for it. Certainly can’t hurt.

I have seen that Gasoila refered to in an 1977 Johnson 2 hp service manual.said to use it on the threads of the fuel shutoff valve into the "nylon/plastic?" threads on the tank .I used Seal All. Do they still make this Gasoila? Seal All is gas resistant,you can seal a leaking gas tank in a car while it is leaking! Jim

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
                    Robbie Robertson

gjonz
                    Participant

Gasoila is still made. It work well. Is a bit pricey. It also has a fairly short shelf life. But it is perfect for its intended application.

I’ve used it to put Flambeau motors back together. Worked great. Held up to fuel.

dougs-outboards
                      Participant

Thanks for all the input there guys. Yes OEM is best, even the Sierra gaskets I have used are good in my opinion.

I have several tanks I am refurbishing, and was simply wondering about the cork board. I did have some cork gasket material, and used a new gasket to fashon another gasket, but ran out then. Will go to the auto store and see what they have. As I said, I enjoy making gaskets so no biggie.

Don’t think I will be trying the cork board as you suggested. But for me, about $20 a pop for a store bought gasket with shipping kinda chaps my hide for what you get for the $.

Thanks and have a good day all!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.