Home Forum Ask A Member Corsair 10 hp

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    oldemtr
    Participant

I may be going to look at a Corsair Navigator 10.
      It looks like the motor uses a remote tank – Anyone know if it uses a special one ?
      Other than that it’s basically a Scott , I know nothing about these.
      Thanks

Tom
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I have one, pretty solid motors except for the gearcase. They tend to leak and corrode. No bailer on these, just one impeller above the gearcase. Wico ignition, so likely the condensers are shot. A few of the details are different from the Scott version teh same year, like a cheaper clamp bracket.

T

20mercman
        Participant

As Tom said, these are pretty well built motors. They perform well when stacked up against the competition. I have a 7.5 and 5, so not sure with the 10’s though. The gear case can get water in them. Both of mine did. One was given to me, the other, 5hp, was on the free pile at Tomahawk on the last day. This motor runs great. Of course needed work to get it back to life, but worth it.

Steve

frankr
          Participant

It does have a complex lower unit with a lot of potential leak places. Worst is the skinny drive shaft seal, and there is no room to put a better one in. But I fixed that on mine by boring out the housing to accept a better seal. Of course you need a milling machine to do that.

100_1385

100_1386

100_1399

oldemtr
            Participant

Thanks for the replies – I’m going to pass on the motor, as from it’s location and condition, I suspect it was used in salt water and put up wet.
              Combined with a known leaky lower unit, it seems like it’s a bad combo – And it’s a long drive to find that out for sure.

And, frankr – Thanks for the photos – I’m going to need to do that with the bushings in a Wizard I have – Jigging it up in the mill is the hardest part, I think.

20mercman
              Participant

A photo of our 5hp is her working clothes. I have not done a cosmetic restoration on her yet, but I do plan to. It is on my list. This was a free motor at Tomahawk last day. I couldn’t bear to see it go to scrap, so Kevin and I grabbed it. It is a nice trolling motor.

Steve

corsair

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.