Counterfeit NGK Spark Plugs

Home Forum Ask A Member Counterfeit NGK Spark Plugs

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

Just a heads up here to use caution when purchasing new NGK spark plugs from Amazon, Ebay, or from guys in white vans also selling stereo equipment. Since they are so popular, a big Asian country has jumped on the bandwagon and is now making counterfeit NGK plugs and passing them off as original.

Generally, any plugs with too good of a price on them should be your first warning. Here’s a few videos showing some differences between the fakes and the real deal.

https://youtu.be/PjBjVjcLcgc

https://youtu.be/Lr9J3eQk-kE

https://youtu.be/cD1rgG8-1e8

bayham3261

Replies: 52
    Topics: 10

Thanks for the article Mumbles.

A few years ago I bought a great deal on NGK plugs on ebay and each of them only lasted about 5-10mins in a child size atv. In hindsight I’m lucky they didn’t bugger anything up on me.

A little information is a dangerous thing!

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3587
    Topics: 326

hopefully Amazon who is always asking for reviews will NOT erase bad reviews or warnings

in any event Amazon should not be offering this product.

btw years ago…my son picked up a poor man’s “Canada Goose down” coat while visiting China … cost in China 80$ real one in Canada $800-$1000 plus taxes

main difference …. chicken feathers poking out but a warm coat nonetheless tags printed as “Made in Canada”

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

billw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2071
    Topics: 66

Most realize that fighting a conventional world war III would be impossible to win. Even Our adversaries know this. It would leave the planet uninhabitable. What we DON’T realize, and our adversaries DO, is that fighting an economic war is quite winnable, especially against the likes of the United States. Talk about having the blinders on. Duh. Yeah, and you too, Oh, Canada. So, war it is; and we are in one, RIGHT NOW. China does pretty much whatever the hell it wants and we buy right into it, literally and figuratively.

Edit: In hindsight, I kind of apologize for this but it’s just my pet peeve. Sorry. I’ll shut up now.

Long live American manufacturing!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by billw.

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3587
    Topics: 326

ooops political deviation here… men as far back as prehistoric times have always wanted better for themselves and their kids including food lodging land security and the
    ” better half ” of the guy in front of him. .

same thing today….just a different approach to leveling earth’s gift overly consumed by the few while the “have not” of the world still….want a better life. Nobody robs the poor man …

…back to topic 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

outboardnut

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 930
    Topics: 419

Hope Champions are ok

bobw

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 2447
    Topics: 56

Hmmmm. Well, according to these videos, the NGK plugs I recently received from one of our favorite Marine suppliers are fake. Guess I will get my next set from my local auto parts store so I can verify their authenticity rather than ordering on-line and getting chumped. Or maybe I’ll just stay with Champions.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
    1954 Johnson CD-11
    1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
    1958 Johnson QD-19
    1958 Johnson FD-12
    1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
    "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

garry-in-michigan

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 3583
    Topics: 31

Champion went through that in the late ’30s –

David Bartlett

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 571
    Topics: 24

What Bill said!!!!!!!!!

David Bartlett
    Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

larkbill

Replies: 28
    Topics: 2

This is pretty disturbing. I’ve been a heavy NGK user since owning and working on Yamaha motorcycles in the early 70s. They also turned out to be an improvement over the OEM Bosch in VWs and BMWs of that era. I’ve used them very successfully in my outboards and have bought several motors with NGKs installed by dealers so I’m not the only one.

The problem is that the Made in Mexico Champions are junk. I’ve had way more than a couple stop working in the first few hours of use. They won’t get any more of my money for those. I discovered the chainsaw lengths are usually made in USA and since their heat range numbers match the longer plugs they’re perfectly acceptable as replacements. An added bonus is on some of our motors the extra clearance is an advantage. I pick them up in the clearance shelves of the big box home improvement stores for 1/2 price or less off season. I also now carefully inspect old plugs that find their way to me and I no longer pitch the old -J plugs unless they’re really nasty.

Another choice I’ve really been happy with are Autolite. Tried some when the local Advance didn’t have NGK and they are still doing great.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.