Home Forum Ask A Member couple gasket making installing question

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ddoyle
    Participant

The current discussion on 2 hp OMC mysteries rekindled an interest for me in my own little duck boat motor. The project had stalled at the exhaust port inspection plate re install due to lack of gasket. I bought some felpro gasket material and hope I used the right stuff(?) took 4 fails to learn the techniques to get it close to satisfactory ( took two tries to figure out to cut the holes first and another two tries to convince myself of the need to check the holes before cutting the rest 😳 LOL)

My question is: Before I install this gasket which cost me 2 hours of precious life and 8 dollars in material should I use RTV (or some other sealer) ?

It serves to seal a section of water passage and the exhaust port. It feels instinctively like I do not want the twain to meet!

Any hints would be appreciated. I have the OMC Service manual no. JM-7401 but there is no mention of it.

Here is a pic of the gasket material and plate in question. Any blue haze in the pic is the air around the evident failures.

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I prefer to use OMC Gasket Sealer on such places. Opinions will vary.

pappy
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OMC gasket sealer.

ddoyle
          Participant

So it definetley needs some sealer, OMC sealer prefered. In abscence of OMC sealer what is the second best choice? Is it applied to both sides of a gasket?

Thanks alot much appreciated

frankr
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

It ain’t rocket science. Permatex #? (the one that comes in a can with a brush in the cap) will work.

Want to know an old mechanic’s secret? I keep an old magazine on hand. When I want to apply gasket sealant, I open the magazine, lay the gasket on a page, and "paint" on the goop, thinly and evenly. Flip it over and do the other side. Peel the gasket off and install it, and close the magazine and set aside for the next job. Simply open the mag to a new page next time.

david-bartlett
              Participant
                quote FrankR:

It ain’t rocket science. Permatex #? (the one that comes in a can with a brush in the cap) will work.

Want to know an old mechanic’s secret? I keep an old magazine on hand. When I want to apply gasket sealant, I open the magazine, lay the gasket on a page, and “paint” on the goop, thinly and evenly. Flip it over and do the other side. Peel the gasket off and install it, and close the magazine and set aside for the next job. Simply open the mag to a new page next time.

Frank,

That tip alone is worth the price of admission.

Thanks, David

phil-b
                Participant

I’ve used Permetex "High Tack" (brush top can) on bolts and base gaskets

phil
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

3M847 is the usually named modern equivalent for the OMC sealer mentioned.

http://www.omc-boats.org
                    http://www.aerocraft-boats.org

ddoyle
                    Participant

Huge thanks guys, I managed to find a can of BRP/omc sealer. Really appreciate the application instructions. It might not be "rocket science" but I have screwed up simpler tasks thru lack of knowledge.

Looking forward to a bucket cruise in the next day or two. Again thanks for the patient answering of elementary query.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.