Home Forum Ask A Member cracked throttle handle 5.5hp 1959

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I have a crack on one side of the two part throttle/steering handle …

motor must have been dropped and caused a slight bend which caused the crack (about 1/16 to 1/8 is offset)

are the throttle handles made of aluminum if so I will try to realign it and weld it with those rods alumiweld… or something…

thanks

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This topic was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by crosbyman.
      David Bartlett
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes they are aluminum. Also the same part was used on many millions of motors so if you can’t fix it is easy to replace.

David Bartlett
        Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

ok thanks… I had those welding rods for years in the cupboard in the shed and only used them last year on my “new” to me” 14 foot aluminum boat…. the 2 back corners that had splits I followed the instruction and they worked out pretty well so I give it try when I tackle it later on this year

… keeping this “gift to me” for my next winter project 🙂 If I break the other half trying to line up the crack I’ll go hunting for a new handle

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

update: tiller fixed

with the left side half, cracked in two I was going to try welding but resorted to Permatex STEEL WELD epoxy with great success !

I welded the crack with just a touch of epoxy and reassembled the tiller with screws and electrical tape to line up the parts perfectly ..like a broken leg bone

after an hour I split the tiller back in it’s two separate parts to access the inner side of the broken half. I washed out all the grease/oil , scraped the surface with my Dremel tool for a better grab.

The parts being hollow there was lots of space to coat the inner surface with epoxy over the crack and for added rigidity I just soaked in a few 2.5 inch spiral galvanized nails over the crack

Perfect fit , extremely solid and a cheap fix 🙂 Now I just need to figure those darn tiller gears…

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Is it an Evinrude or Johnson? I just happen to have a tiller handle from a 1959 Evinrude….

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Evinrude Golden Jubile 1959 Thanks for mentioning it but frankly the repairs look perfect and already coated with fresh paint 🙂 Save that tiller 🙂

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Cool! I have been so upset lately, my work shop has been more of a dumping ground than man cave. Finally spent a couple of days going through most everything, remembering all the good stuff I have “collected”, that is when I found the Golden Jubilee tiller handle. Now, I can enjoy doing a few projects, but it won’t take long to mess the shop all up again….

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.