Home Forum Ask A Member crimping pressure tank hose clamps

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    PugetSoundBoater
    Participant

I have 4 new original style hose clamps and would like to get a nice even crimp all the way around the hose. I assume there was a special pair of pliers back in the day.
      Any good techniques for accomplishing this?
      Thanks, Jim PSB

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
      Robbie Robertson

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

Most dealers mearly appropriated a pare of plyers out of the Evinrude tool kit and remodeled it with a grinder and a rat tail file. . . 😎

Steve D
        Participant

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14239&p=74433&hilit=pliers#p74433
          (Mumbles picture):

Attachments:

royaljoe1954
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

In the early days of cable, when people were making their own pieces of cable, electronic stores sold cable connector crimpers. They work great for crimping the hose clamps. Perhaps you could find one.

PugetSoundBoater
            Participant

2 good ways of crimping those clamps. I had thought about modifying a pair of slip joint pliers. Somewhere in my storage unit i have cable parts and a crimper tool.It would take a month to dig through that stuff to find it.I will make one like the one shown out of the pliers like mumbles did.
              Thanks.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
              Robbie Robertson

chris-p
              Participant

You could also wrap a hose clamp around them, tighten down, then take the hose clamp back off. Everyone has hose clamps in their junk drawers.

PugetSoundBoater
                Participant
                  quote Chris_P:

You could also wrap a hose clamp around them, tighten down, then take the hose clamp back off. Everyone has hose clamps in their junk drawers.

I thought about using a hose clamp to crimp them.

I don’t think my mother ever had a hose clamp in her junk drawer. Lots of used twist ties , old rubber bands, paper clips and a bunch of real old Betty Crocker box tops with some kind of point value…in 1965. . maybe Canadian mothers had better "value placing criteria.:" : )

Your American Allie, PSB

Robbie Robertson

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.