Current thoughts on buying OMC “universal coils?

Home Forum Ask A Member Current thoughts on buying OMC “universal coils?

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
    amuller

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 948
    Topics: 153

I’m redoing the ignition work on a 1962 5.5 because the coils appear to be crap. This is from what I posted on the facebook page:

“No noticeable spark but runs poorly. Coil secondary 4.62 k ohms upper (low?) and open on lower. I replaced these coils a couple of years ago and used new wires. Probably bought from Amazon. They are black plastic and marked 583249 and 18GZ-OA. So I can pretty much only conclude that these were bad coils. Any thoughts?”

So where should I be buying coils? The price seems to have crept up noticeably and I don’t know where to get the German-made ones. How is Sierra quality these days? I’m too old and lazy to want to be doing jobs over again trying to save a few bucks….

Thanks for any thoughts.

bobw
    bobw

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 1073
    Topics: 41

I’ve typically bought OMC/BRP coils from Marine Engine. Never had any problems with them. The German made Prufrex coils went out of production several years ago but you can sometimes find some for sale on Ebay. Haven’t tried the Sierra coils but I’ve read that fitment can sometimes be problematic.

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
    1956 Johnson RD-18
    1958 Johnson QD-19
    1959 Johnson QD-20
    1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18

"Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project."

crosbyman

Canada Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 1612
    Topics: 196

I have only used cheapies on EBAY with no issues yet ā€¦ not one bad coil physically or electrically

Joining AOMCI has priviledges šŸ™‚

David Bartlett
    David Bartlett

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 458
    Topics: 21

BRP for me as long as I can get them!

David Bartlett
    Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

Tubs
    Tubs

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 3083
    Topics: 169

These are the ones I use but mostly as
    Subsites for coils no longer available.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CDI-183-4477-582995-584477-Ignition-Coil-for-Johnson-Evinrude-1-5-40-Hp-18-5181/333381503189

You're only as smart as the person you're talking to.

amuller

US Member - 2 Years

I took some condensers out of a ’69 25 hp Evinrude. They are 581419 and measure about .565 mfd. I’ve not seen these before and that seems like a high value for an ignition condenser. Anybody know what these are supposed to go in and what the capacitance is supposed to be?

Thanks.

amuller

US Member - 2 Years

This has been one of those days when everything I touch is bad or goes bad. Took two German coils out of a motor that was incomplete but running. One has a secondary resistance of 27 k and the other 240 k. No cracks, no exposure to moisture….. No spark, no spark, no spark….Grrrrr

Steve D
    Steve D

Replies: 572
    Topics: 67

I took some condensers out of a ’69 25 hp Evinrude. They are 581419 and measure about .565 mfd. I’ve not seen these before and that seems like a high value for an ignition condenser. Anybody know what these are supposed to go in and what the capacitance is supposed to be?

Thanks.

I don’t know about the capacitance but those are the right ones for that motor. 581419 is part of Tune Up Kit 172523. This is the application chart on the back of the kit, not sure if the condenser is used on any other motors not listed.

172523-581419

Attachments:
    amuller

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks. My Fluke meter can report capacitance, but I don’t think it’s a test under the higher voltage of operating conditions. And the reading of .565 mfd seems suspicious to me. So many condenser numbers and so few specs! Always more to learn….

billw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1249
    Topics: 41

If you can’t do a true leakage test on a condenser, then just assume it needs to be replaced. Anything else is just Christian Science.

Long live American manufacturing!

amuller

US Member - 2 Years

We used to change points and condensers on cars, etc, as a matter of course. But with prices up, and quality down, it’s no longer so obvious what to do….

jeff-register

Replies: 1180
    Topics: 49

It may be the case of an open in the secondary winding only connected by carbon. Carbon is used for resistors. Look very closely at the outside of the coil for a pin sized hole where it arced to ground from running without the plug wire connected. You make energy & if it has no where to go, it finds it’s own way. I could look up the cap but my book was loaned out but it was forever.

Mumbles
    Mumbles

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4529
    Topics: 432

The 581419 caps were used to compliment the original 580197 coils used in the motors shown. The more common 580321 cap is used with the more common 584477 coils which were used in just about everything else OMC built. Since the offshore coils are meant to replace the 584477 coils, go with the lower uF rated 580321 cap if you are replacing the coils. I know the coils look the same, but they are different.

amuller

US Member - 2 Years

It may be the case of an open in the secondary winding only connected by carbon. Carbon is used for resistors. Look very closely at the outside of the coil for a pin sized hole where it arced to ground from running without the plug wire connected. You make energy & if it has no where to go, it finds it’s own way. I could look up the cap but my book was loaned out but it was forever.

That is more or less what I’d expect, except that these coils have been in my shop and not abused by running disconnected. Supposedly these are premium quality German coils. So…..? I’m starting to wonder if there is a lot of bogus product out there.

amuller

US Member - 2 Years

The 581419 caps were used to compliment the original 580197 coils used in the motors shown. The more common 580321 cap is used with the more common 584477 coils which were used in just about everything else OMC built. Since the offshore coils are meant to replace the 584477 coils, go with the lower uF rated 580321 cap if you are replacing the coils. I know the coils look the same, but they are different.

So is there any real difference in the performance of the coils? Or differences in the way the stator plate and flywheel magnets are set up? I see these listed are higher performance motors. So would using these coils on my low-performance 5.5 be a factor in the marginal spark i’m getting?

How did this get so complicated?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.