Current thoughts on buying OMC “universal coils?

Home Forum Ask A Member Current thoughts on buying OMC “universal coils?

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • phil
    phil

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 141
    Topics: 18

This has been one of those days when everything I touch is bad or goes bad. Took two German coils out of a motor that was incomplete but running. One has a secondary resistance of 27 k and the other 240 k. No cracks, no exposure to moisture….. No spark, no spark, no spark….Grrrrr

The german coils were always the gold standard, I was wondering if you had a flaky meter, but Fluke is the gold standard of meters!!!

Maybe it’s something in the air? Mercury retrograde??

More than 10K on the secondaries makes my head hurt!

http://www.omc-boats.org
    http://www.aerocraft-boats.org

jcrigan

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 141
    Topics: 16

Did you read the resistance at the secondary pin on the coil or at the spark plug boot?

amuller

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 948
    Topics: 153

Did you read the resistance at the secondary pin on the coil or at the spark plug boot?

Both, they are the same. But on one of the other coils there was a high resistance connection at the pin. The pin seemed rusty, even though I had tried to seal the connection with heat shrink.

jim-moffatt

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 213
    Topics: 25

most condenser are in the range 0.12 to 0.30. Also they almost always read high when they go bad so I would replace them.

amuller

US Member - 2 Years

most condenser are in the range 0.12 to 0.30. Also they almost always read high when they go bad so I would replace them.

Interesting. I would have guessed the opposite–that they would read low when failing. But these581419s are reading higher capacitance than any other ignition condenser I’ve seen or heard of, so it kinda makes sense.

I ordered an OMC branded tuneup kit. (Dan Anderson explained why the kit pricing is better than individual parts.)

Is there any source of specs for OMC condensers? The only one I’ve seen is for early–mostly prewar–stuff.

amuller

US Member - 2 Years

Well, I put in two new OMC-branded condensers and the motor runs much better. Learned a lesson on multi-meter testing of condensers.

Have also learned a lesson on coil testing. My Fluke 77 sometimes gives an “open” reading when auto-ranging. If I manually set the range to something suitable I get a valid reading.

Need a condenser tester?

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.