Custom Fuel Tank

Home Forum Ask A Member Custom Fuel Tank

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• chris-p

Replies: 2456
    Topics: 153

Has anyone ever had a custom sized fuel tank made up?

Would like to get a triangular one made for my fishing boat. Will fit it up at the bow.

I need to get some weight out of the back of the boat, as Im making a custom live well table at the stern now.

Anyone been through this before?

vintin

Replies: 580
    Topics: 19

Depending on size of course but I think you’re going to find a custom aluminum tank like you are describing in the 4 to $500 range.

dan-in-tn

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 961
    Topics: 78

Been thinking about the same thing for my boat. Depends on what your looking for? Capacity & measurements. Everything in the world out there. I may have a contact at Moeller. Haven’t talked to him in a while.
    These were being built here in TN. They need to be out of the sun to hold up. Be better if it was under your live well shelf or whatever? Requires some plumbing for filling & vent, but not hard. You can wire a gauge or not. If you can see it then you can tell how much fuel you have. This is just a sample of what’s out there.
    Custom builder have built every size & shape for bass boats over the years. They call it blow molding.
    Well I guess the technical term is roto molded!

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/moeller- … cordNum=35

Dan in TN

The Boat House

Replies: 4550
    Topics: 111

We have a guy at a heating/air conditioning co. that
    will make and weld them for us. Just the tank. We put in the
    sending unit, fuel pump, fill tube, and return. He
    will make a tank. His company isn’t liable if we
    turn them into gas tanks.

wbeaton

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1037
    Topics: 101

After the tank is built it needs to be certified to be legal for use. It may void your insurance otherwise and leave you liable if there is a fuel tank related issue.

Wayne
    Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

bob-d

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 514
    Topics: 104

Chris, I used this company to build a replacement aluminum tank for my Magnum Missile. They did a great job with the baffle, and the sender. I sent them a drawing with dimensions, and they provided a quote.
    Bob D
    http://sptanks.com

amuller

Replies: 1055
    Topics: 163

Triangular tanks around around. My Crestliner had one,now long gone. I’d like to replace it.

What are the legalities on fuel tanks? Do they have to be stamped or certified individually? Or is there a set of standards that qualifies them? Or?

dougs-outboards

Replies: 110
    Topics: 9

Years ago I made a tank for my new 1986 19′ Fishin’ Ski Barge out of 10 ga steel. Used 2 fittings and clear tubing to make a sight glass for the fuel gauge to tell how full it was. Oil in the gas prevented a lot of rust forming inside.

Dunno about the Coast Guard certification tho, but I am sure the experts on here will chime in with their infinate wisdom on this matter.

jw-in-dixie

Replies: 371
    Topics: 23

The Feds aside, if you can tolerate reduced capacity, what about reshaping the end of a std 6 gal steel tank? Welding steel is less expensive than Al.

chris-p

Replies: 2456
    Topics: 153

I need at least a 24 gallon tank or there abouts. My fishing rig has a 115hp 2 stroke Merc on it. She is thirsty!

I have actually located a few good used ones. I may go that route perhaps now.

Thanks for all the input! All great ideas.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.