Decisions, Decisions

Home Forum Ask A Member Decisions, Decisions

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

I’m not sure which way to go now as I was given a ’76 Merc 200 for parts to try and get the ’69 200 together and running but the ’76 turned out to be a good runner to after I cut a hole in the side so I could cut the frozen driveshaft in half. The ’76 gearcase could use some fresh bearings and it seems it will bolt right on to the ’69 exhaust housing.

What the problem is, the ’76 had been kept outside with a spark plug missing and no wrap or cover to protect it. The motor was full of leaves and spider webs and I just assumed it was seized from sitting. After getting the gearcase off, I blew the leaves off it and tried to turn the flywheel, and it turned. The next step was to oil it up and spin it with a drill to see if it had any spark, which it did on one cylinder. After replacing the bad coil I hooked it up to a garden hose and it fired right up! I was going to trash the ’76 parts motor but now I’m thinking it could be made into a daily driver if I come up with the missing parts for it. So what do I do, finish the ’69 and save the ’76 to? πŸ˜•

Here’s a couple videos of both of them running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idZUWzGNHHM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYDDCz1gyXI

RICHARD A. WHITE

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 1840
    Topics: 140

Work on your Koban….

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
    classicomctools@gmail.com

chuckw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 111
    Topics: 22

Keep both and use them both πŸ™‚

bob-d

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 513
    Topics: 104

Jim, I have been through this many times with my "parts" motors. I hate to see them not brought back to life, even if they have what seems to be slim chance. Yours is even running which is 90% of the battle!
    I say go for it. Get them both going.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Bob D

bobw

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 2448
    Topics: 56

They both seem to run good, so I’d want to get both of them restored.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
    1954 Johnson CD-11
    1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
    1958 Johnson QD-19
    1958 Johnson FD-12
    1959 Johnson QD-20

β€œEvery 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
    "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

billw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2071
    Topics: 66

You’d need a drive shaft, plus the bearings, for the ’76. The drive shaft will be hard to come by and/or expensive. I am not totally convinced that the ’76 will just bolt on the the ’69. Maybe, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. You really have to examine that stuff part by part, stud by stud. I have seen times where everything looks to be a "go," but two studs are out of place by an 1/8", etc, etc. There is a REASON Merc guys need a SERIAL number to order parts. If I were you, I’d be putting the ’69 on temporary hold and searching out an American built ’76ish lower unit with stainless shafts. Now THOSE are great motors!

Long live American manufacturing!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.