Did I just ruin my coil

Home Forum Ask A Member Did I just ruin my coil

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
    Samuel Phelps

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 141
    Topics: 23

Speetitwin 6039 Trying to re-solder the plug wire . It seemed loose from where I had changed the wires a while back . Compared to the other side the spark seemed weaker ..
    Can this be fixed or just replace the coil ..

IMG_0855

Attachments:
    dave-bernard

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1081
    Topics: 14

possibly if you can re attach to the wire in the coil.

wbeaton

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 815
    Topics: 81

It’s toast. Soldering coils is very delicate work. Fortunately, a replacement won’t be hard to find.

Wayne
    Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

Samuel Phelps

US Member - 1 Year

Does anyone know of a source for one ?
    It kinda looks like it just rode in a pocket . The terminal has a ball of sorts where it sat under the casing into a reccess . At first glance .

Samuel Phelps

US Member - 1 Year

Digging in a bit further I did find a wire . So lets say by some chance, the grace of god, I was to successfully able to re-solder the terminal back on .. I would need to re-seal it back onto the coil somehow .. Any suggestions ? Epoxy maybe ?

IMG_0856

I have been looking for a replacement but no luck so far ..

Attachments:
    crosbyman

Canada Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 1541
    Topics: 189

step one… scrape the wire to shiny metal

same for the wire to connect to it apply some flux or use rosin core solder

solder as fast as possible ..you can try to had a metal clip below the solder joint to absorb some heat before it enters the coil

if successful I would apply 1 minute epoxy to solidify the whose solder area and grab the weld area to keep it from flexing orient the wires the way they will be permanently

hope for the best and try it out.

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Samuel Phelps

US Member - 1 Year

Crosbyman that is basically what I just did . I wanted to solder the wire from the coil and the wire going to plug at the same time . It took me a while to figure out how to clamp it in position . I think I got a pretty good bond . I didnt use fast set but I used regular JB weld epoxy . Gunna leave it to cure over night still clamped and see what happens .. I used rosin core solder .
    Are there other coil alternatives that I can get in case it doesn’t work ?

crosbyman

Canada Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 1541
    Topics: 189

sorry I am strictly into magnetos early 50 to late 60s

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by Avatarcrosbyman.
    wbeaton

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 815
    Topics: 81

A free want ad in the classified section will net you an original replacement. They are common and reasonably cheap.

Wayne
    Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

stanley

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 397
    Topics: 103

This one on ebay

C4D4D499-0F8A-41A2-83BA-2A9982556B00

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by Avatarstanley.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by MumblesMumbles.
    Attachments:
    Mumbles
    Mumbles

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4480
    Topics: 432

The JB Weld should probably be covered with a few layers of liquid tape as I’ve found everal epoxies on the market are made with iron powder and are magnetic and possibly conductive. The small terminals were sold individually at one time so soldering them on was the accepted method. The small wire you found was probably a thin braided cable about an inch or two long which is fastened to the secondary winding at its other end. If this connection breaks, then you’re in trouble.

Here’s a secondary winding wire and it measures about .002″, which is thinner than a human hair.

DSC00828

Samuel Phelps

US Member - 1 Year

Mumbles ,I did not see a small wire like that . Or may not have noticed it . I put it back together ,grounded the plugs and looked for spark .. It looked like good spark on both sides .. Still not running right .
    When a condenser goes bad is it like a loss of power or just shuts down and not restart .It was a new condenser that Steve Woods had in his parts bin last year . I only ran a couple times after that .. The motor will start and run but loses power and just doesn’t run smooth . Points are clean and set at .020 .
    New plugs set at .030 .. I made a video of it and will post it soon .. This new hobby of mine seems very frustrating at times ..! LOL!

Samuel Phelps

US Member - 1 Year

here is a video..

Mumbles
    Mumbles

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4480
    Topics: 432

Condensers (capacitors) do go bad over time and their original microfarad (uF) rating will get higher as they do. Bad or leaking caps will cause weak spark and burned/pitted points over time to. Your ’49 Speeditwin came equipped with a cap rated at .30 (.27-.36) uF so it’s replacement should be checked for leakage and to see if it falls in this range. If the spark at the plugs is weak, you can try closing up the plugs gap a bit to .025 and see what happens. This is all done after making sure the points are clean, polished, and free of any oil film before gapping them. Since the coil fires both plugs at once, it needs all the help it can get to do this.

joecb

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 374
    Topics: 60

One note on the proper technique for soldering to a coil terminal… to minimize the amount of HEAT transferred into the coil winding one must use a HOT soldering iron with sufficiently large thermal mass to melt the solder and make the joint quickly. In practical terms this means using a large tip HOT iron. Using your average pencil soldering tool meant for delicate electronic work is not good as it will take considerable time to get the joint up to melt temperature, meanwhile pumping heat into the coil.

Joe B

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.