Home Forum Ask A Member Does it even matter ?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    wedgie
    Participant

I’ve found more than one of these where the locator pin is broken/worn off flush where the rear prop bearing sits. Does it matter if the rear 0303380 – Bearing can spin a bit ? In the past I’ve drilled into the locator pin and pulled it out,luckily without damaging anything. I don’t want to risk doing this again if it is unnecessary.

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

They don’t ware down. They get pushed down when the bushing is not lined up properly. If there isn’t room to go down, they can distort the bushing causing binding and leaks. Any movement of the bushing will cause ware in the softer aluminum. That is the reason they are pinned. If broken off below the surface, drill a new hole to the side of the old and put in a new pin. . . . . 😉

1946zephyr
        Participant

X 2 on what Garry just said. Getting the pin lined up in the front bearing is important. If the bearing pushes the pin in like that, it will put pressure on that point in the bearing and may cause it to heat up while running, because of the pressure.
          I believe that pin is also to set the oil hole in the bearing, in line with the oil passage in the gearcase too.

shoestringmariner
          Participant

Is it possible to drill it and use a screw extractor to get it out, or is it too small for that?

chris-p
            Participant

Im not really sure why they make the hole that deep! I have extracted them with left hand drill bits, or screwed in small sheet metal screw then pried it out. Couple I couldn’t get it I did as stated above, and drill a new hole beside the old one.

1946zephyr
              Participant

I can imagine drilling into that pin might be tough. Those are tool steel, aren’t they? If you are lucky enough to dril into it, it should come out fairly easy with an extractor…..unless someone locktited it.

rudderless
                Participant

I ‘ve never worked on that lower before but I know what I would do..Install another pin along side the other useless one. Drill shallow hole in bushing for new pin. Silk purse from sow’s ear…

Golly Gee Whizz..I see now I stole ChrisP idea..

rudderless
                  Participant

…or see how far the old pin will drive down..might be able to put new pin on top..

1946zephyr
                    Participant

Unfortunately they won’t go deep enough for a second pin. Drilling and extracting is really the best option. You have to be careful about puting in a second pin, because you want oil to flow into that bearing. If the oil hole is cut off, then you’re out of business.

joesnuffy
                      Participant

What about putting a pin on the other half of the gear case? and just leave that pin in place. Drill a hole in the brass bushing 180 degrees from that one the drill a hole for pin in the skeg part of case and place a pin in it.

Joe

ps been thinking about that a couple days now

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.