Home Forum Ask A Member Don’t want to force the throttle on 1979 9.8 Mercury

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    seahuntboater
    Participant

This is a new to me motor. serial number is 5318585. Prior to doing anything I figured I would seek some advice first. I am able to shift in gear, spin prop, change gears and stay in neutral.
      What i am not sure about is if there is some kind of lockout on the tiller handle throttle that keeps one from twisting the grip . I see cables and a pully moving slightly but do not know if there is a frozen cable, some thing normal, etc. It may also be possible (likely ) that someone messed with the lower unit in the past. How is normal operation supposed to work?

thanks
      ralph

billw
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It wouldn’t be the first time a cable got stuck. In neutral, you ARE limited to lower RPM, so first, shift into forward and try the throttle. If it still doesn’t move, apply a moderate throttle twist, back and forth, while observing the cables closely. You should be able to notice which one is stuck, by seeing a slight movement, or lack there of. Maybe both of them? Anyway, from there, it is divide and conquer…you have to start taking things apart to see what is stuck, exactly. Sometimes it’s the tiller handle, sometimes its the trigger plate….

Long live American manufacturing!

seahuntboater
        Participant

thanks. I will start checking it out as soon as i can.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.