Home Forum Ask A Member Drive Shaft Repair

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Buccaneer
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I’ve address most everything in the gear case on the 1962 Gale 40 hp with
      the 1955 ish Evinrude lower unit, with new bearings, seals, etc. on the way.
      I would like to do something with the driveshaft “seal” area. It has the typical
      grooving and pitting. I’ve tried JB Weld in the past, and that lasted about 5 minutes.
      A speedi Sleeve is probably not an option with the repair being needed so
      far from the end of the shaft.
      For those of you that repair your own via welding, what process do you use?
      Type of welder, rod, etc. Also, do you turn down the weld on a lathe, using
      a cutting tool, or a grinder attachment?
      I have a little wire feed MIG welder (which I suck at) and a lathe. Tips appreciated.
      Thanks.

DSCN7866-1

Prepare to be boarded!

Randy in Tampa
      Participant

I may have a spare, I have some bigtwin parts.post pics of both ends and specs and I’ll check…..😎

Rotary valve Johnson’s Rule!

Buccaneer
        Participant

Randy, what came out of mine, I presume came from the 25 hp Evinrude lower unit.
          It’s 27-1/2″ long, 5/8″ diameter, and 14 spline, and has the groove for the o-ring
          on the power head end.
          I’ve already spent too much on this project, (like most others) and hence, my
          desire to learn how to “fix” the old driveshafts. Saving money is fun,
          as is the satisfaction of “fixing” something, lol.
          Thanks.

Prepare to be boarded!

Mumbles
          Participant

I’ve repaired shafts by replacing the damaged section and welding it with stainless rod (308?) before cleaning it up in the lathe. Spray welding and centreless grinding would be the preferred way.

Remember our old friends The Maple Leaf Club? Well, Peter from nymarine has some good information posted on their site and driveshaft repair is one of the topics. Click on Archives, then Technical Articles and you will see the PDF in the lower left. Here’s the link:

http://www.mlaoc.ca/

While you are there, check out their new website. It’s laid out nicely and is easy to navigate, especially the classifieds.

Buccaneer
            Participant

Mumbles, thanks for the information! Replacing “sections” of a driveshaft may be beyond
              my current skill level thus far. Alignment might be an issue for me! Do you weld them
              in the lathe?
              I’m aware of spray welding, but that is probably not something “Joe Blow” can do himself?
              Also not aware of anyone locally here in the sticks that does that service.
              No idea what “centreless” grinding is, but will research that, and check out the Maple Leaf site.
              Thanks, I often forget there’s other AOMCI sites!
              Much appreciated.

Prepare to be boarded!

Mumbles
              Participant

The MLC used to be a club chapter but they aren’t anymore. Mentioning AOMCI over there would be like swearing.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Mumbles.
                Buccaneer
                Participant

I looked at MLC’s site, and printed off the driveshaft PDF. Looks like other interesting PDF’s to
                  download as well. I hope they don’t read my post about AOMCI!

Prepare to be boarded!

Buccaneer
                  Participant

As I was messing around in the garage today, looking at the driveshaft with the grooved seal area below
                    the water pump, I was wondering how successful it would be to “sleeve” the drive shaft seal area,
                    making the 5/8″ shaft 3/4″ in the seal area, and using the appropriate size seal, assuming I could
                    find the correct size. I believe the seal bore is a little over an inch.

Anyone have luck with this type of repair?

What kind of sleeve “stock” would be best suited, that could be silver soldered or bonded
                    to the shaft with epoxy, etc.?

Prepare to be boarded!

dave-bernard
                    Participant

How about Speedi Sleeve ?

Buccaneer
                      Participant

Thought about a speedi sleeve but not sure how you’d drive it over the splines
                        on the drive shaft, then another 10″ or so, without destroying the sleeve.

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.