Home Forum Ask A Member Driver Coil check

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    edgartc
    Participant

Does anyone have a diagram of 0581557 driver coil from a Johnson 40EL75 or other models. I suspect this one but don’t know what I should see with the Ohm meeter

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

2.70+/-.7 ohms is what I found for the 1976 9.9 electric start driver coil which uses the 581557 driver coil as well. Keep in mind that the design of later replacement driver coils was changed/improved so the resistance might be a little different on newer parts.
        I often wondered why there is a difference between the electric and manual start driver coils, but have since discovered there is a difference in the flywheel magnets between the rope and electric start flywheels.

Mumbles
        Participant
          quote fleetwin:

have since discovered there is a difference in the flywheel magnets between the rope and electric start flywheels.

The electric starts came with a charging system so they have the extra magnets in the flywheel.

legendre
          Participant
            quote Mumbles:

quote fleetwin:

have since discovered there is a difference in the flywheel magnets between the rope and electric start flywheels.

The electric starts came with a charging system so they have the extra magnets in the flywheel.

Huh.. those cast-in magnets must come pretty dear. Otherwise you’d think the economy of scale would dictate only producing and stocking one part for the flywheel.

Or is there another, less obvious reason?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.