Home Forum Ask A Member Early 80’s USA built Mariner 9.9HP.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mogems-yahoo-com
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

There is so much crazy info out there. All I need is to drop the lower unit and check and/or replace the impeller etc. Anyone out there with help? Someone painted over the Modle # etc. with camo duck hunt B/S. Thanks, George. mogems@yahoo.com or call 856-447-3641.

retiredoz
      Participant

US Member

Nothing all that exotic about it – the only real wrinkle is the connector on the shift shaft. The book says to loosen the jam nut (while holding the connector), and COUNT the number of turns required to disconnect. You’d want to use that number to reconnect when you’re putting it back together in order to stay adjusted (or close).
        The rest of the procedure appears trivial, or at least not worse than any other outboard. No special tools required.
        The book says to lightly grease the driveshaft splines, but make sure to wipe off the top..

mogems-yahoo-com
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Could I be wrong about the "USA built"? I don’t see the connector on the shift shaft. It’s not obvious of a fastener up top under the carb…like the manual shows. My lower has only 3 bolts and they are metric. Something else is definitely connected because my lower unit is dangling about 2" apart from the upper. #’s on core plug are as follows: C242083. This no. does not come up on any manual that I have, nor on the internet. Thanks, George

mogems-yahoo-com
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hey Guys. Disregard the last post. I figured it out. It had a swivel clip instead of a screw. Now for the real reason for pulling the lower. I needed to check the impeller because the owner said "After it warms up real good it eventually loses power and ultimately shuts off". The impeller looks fine, supple & can remain in service. Where do I go from here? Thanks, George 856-447-3641

retiredoz
            Participant

US Member

It sounds to me like an electrical gremlin, unless you can see signs of overheating. BTW, it was always my impression the Mariners were Japanese-built, starting with Yamaha, and at some point changing to Tohatsu/Nissan. According to my ser # chart, yours is an ’89/’90, and i don’t know which that would be. My Seloc manual isn’t exactly full of hints…

mogems-yahoo-com
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks, we’re a little closer now. This being my first Mariner dissection, I welcome everyone’s help. After this I’ll stick with what I know—OMC

retiredoz
                Participant

US Member

Yeah, but just think of all the fun you’re missing out on ! Actually, none of those motors are all that hard to work on, but replacing CDI components gets pricey in a hurry…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.