Electric shift gear lube…?

Home Forum Ask A Member Electric shift gear lube…?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• amuller

Replies: 1055
    Topics: 163

The recommended stuff seems to be “Premium Blend,” still available from BRP. But it’s expensive; I paid $8 per 16 oz bottle. Given the nature of the beast I’m thinking that automatic transmission fluid or “tractor hydraulic” ought to work, but I don’t have any specs on the BRP fluid. The main concern I have is that, since the gearcases are unvented, foaming might cause a problem with pressure buildup.

I have motors with the “hydro-lectric gearcase,” and also ones with the spring-clutch design. I have heard of the latter slipping so coefficient of friction might be an issue……

Can anybody advise?

Adding some more info: I see that Mallory has it as 9-82601 (qt) and Sierra has it as 18-9620-2 ((qt). Sierra describes it as “75W which would speak to the viscosity but not the additive package.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by amuller.
    • This topic was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by amuller.

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Dexron ATF is supposed to be acceptable. “They” say.

The Boat House

Replies: 4549
    Topics: 111

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

I’m with Tubs on this one….It is not just a case of the electric shift slipping with the wrong lube, but it will probably break the clutch spring when it re-engages….I’ll bet there are dealers around that have the premium blend on hand, with a lot of dust on it….They will be eager make a deal….Look on ebay also….

rmhxruss

Replies: 145
    Topics: 6

In the 1970’s we used Sta Lube outboard gear oil for OMC outboards in our shop. Funny thing as it was red. Later found out OMC oil was just ATF GM flavor.

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

One of the OMC gear lubes was discontinued because it had whale oil in it. Whale hunting was outlawed, so they had to change the formula. Sorry, I don’t remember which oil it was. But I’m thinking “Type C”. I’ll bet Dan-In-Tenn knows. Whatever it was, I still have about a gallon squirreled away for my own use.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by frankr.

amuller

This subject, like discussing fuel mixes, seems to bring up the same thoughts.

The “Premium Blend (formerly “type C?) seems readily enough available. My intent has been to use ATF for flushing and leak testing, then switch to the official stuff. I think ATF would likely be fine for the hydro-lectric that uses dog clutches. But “likely” isn’t the same as knowing. For the type using spring clutches on the pinions, the consequences could be serious and I’ll use the official stuff.

amuller

There are some long discussions of ATF on Wikipedia. Apparently whale oil disappeared from ATF around 1973 (Thankfully, IMO, from an environmental and ethical point of view) so it would probably have been about the same for gearcase lube. Types and complexity of auto transmission have proliferated, and with them numerous flavors of fluid. Doubtless there are people with the knowledge to sort it out.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.