Electronic Ignition

Home Forum Ask A Member Electronic Ignition

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• ellie-123

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 19
    Topics: 13

Would like to find out more about a little red computer ignition part. Seems I have one in a 6 H P. Johnson and don’t know anything about them Can someone help me on this Thanks in advance Dick

frankr

Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

One of those aftermarket things that replace points and condensers????

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

What you probably have is an Atom ignition module originally made in Australia. Once their patent expired, everyone got on the bandwagon and started making them. They came in different colors depending on the application and the red ones are the correct ones for outboard magnetos. I like the Atoms and swear by them. One word of caution, beware of Nova or Nova II modules as they won’t stand up in an OMC magneto.

Here’s a link to an older thread on the Atoms: https://aomci.org/forums/topic/how-do-atom-computer-ignition-modules-work/

IMGP0100

Zephyr-Ign-Atoms

DSC00457

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

Why is it that you want to replace the points and condensers with these modules? The OMC universal magneto is really a very reliable system, simple to set up, most all parts all available.
    Adding these modules adds some complexity and wiring, perhaps some re-engineering of the mag plate.
    There are only two reasons I can think of where these kits might be handy:
    An upper crankcase oil leak that can’t be solved with a new upper seal: Points will foul quickly when the get oily
    A sloppy mag plate: Excessive sideways mag plate slop will cause erratic point settings and running issues

wbeaton

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1037
    Topics: 101

Atom modules solve a problem. I certainly like the idea of them. They have a good reputation as long as you use the correct Atom 215 (red) module. I bought some (I think from Mumbles) to try once, but a friend wanted them more so I gave them to him. I wish I had more. I’d like to try them in some of the early motors with difficult to find condensers. The Atom 215 is NLA so it’s probably for the best that I don’t have anymore.

Wayne
    Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

Mumbles

Not only do they replace hard to find points and condensers, they also provide easy starting and a smoother idle than breaker points can. Sure, points style ignition will do the same, but only if they are in perfect condition and gapped and maintained properly. The Atom and Sierra branded modules are plug and play. They are maintenance free so you install them and forget about them, forever.

Wayne: I have more!

outboardnut

Replies: 930
    Topics: 419

Do you have a link for the Sierra ignition module????

Mumbles

Do you have a link for the Sierra ignition module????

No current link for Sierra’s but the red Atom 215’s and Sierra Magnatune 18-5100’s both show up on Ebay occasionally. Doing a web search does show some Sierra’s available elsewhere.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.