Home Forum Ask A Member Mumbles, Eletrolosis ?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Steve A W
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Mumbles
      Could You do a tutorial on cleaning tanks with electrolosis?
      How do You suspend the electrodes and how do You finish cleaning them?
      What kind of power supply are You using? Doesn’t look like any battery charger I’ve ever seen.
      Thanks

Steve A W

Member of the MOB chapter.
      I live in Northwest Indiana

david-bartlett
      Participant

Steve,

When I did it I just insulated my wire with some plastic tubing where it touched the opening of the tank. Just get you wire long enough so the anode hangs about in the middle of the space. I used some scrap steel cut-off pieces for the steel anode.

This picture shows 2 wires with sacrificial pieces, one for either side of the baffle. One wire already had insulation on it, so no need for the tubing.

mr-asa
        Participant

You can find a decent write up fairly easily.
          http://www.instructables.com/id/Electro … le-Gas-Ta/

This guy uses a steel bar as an anode and just globs some silicone on the base for the insulation
          http://www.instructables.com/id/Electro … fuel-tank/

http://www.myfordtractors.com/electrolysis.shtml

Mumbles
          Participant
            quote Steve A W:

Mumbles
            Could You do a tutorial on cleaning tanks with electrolosis?
            How do You suspend the electrodes and how do You finish cleaning them?
            What kind of power supply are You using? Doesn’t look like any battery charger I’ve ever seen.
            Thanks

Steve A W

I’m following the method listed in the Inner Sanctum.

https://www.aomci.org/members/library/El … emoval.pdf

I’m using a piece of angle iron for the anode hooked to the positive and it’s suspended with a piece of non conducting Twist Tie found in the garden shop at my local Quickie Mart. My way of thinking says more is better so maybe the large surface area will work better than a round rod? The solution is water and washing soda and the power source is a three bank marine battery charger out of a boat. I have tried doing this before with automotive/automatic chargers but found they need to be hooked up to a 12 volt battery before they’ll produce any current. This charger doubles as a power supply and if I had more wire, I could have hooked up a third tank.

Before I do anything, I pressure wash inside the tank to remove any oil film and loose rust. After cooking for a few hours, I pressure wash it again and if it still has rust buildup, I mix up more solution and juice it up again. I have two more tanks hooked up right now and I’ll let them cook overnight. When they are done and rinsed out, I pour a little alcohol in the tank and swish it around before drying it with compressed air. I found using a heat gun helps to dry it out on cool days.

aquasonic
            Participant

US Member

I have had good results using an inexpensive 1 Amp Schumacher battery charger. Washing soda may work better, but I substituted table salt at 1 tablespoon per gallon because I had it on hand.

You can also suspend bare copper wire for the sacrificial anode from a piece of scrap lumber placed on top of the tank. The wood must be placed so that the copper wire does not touch any steel from the tank.

Steve A W
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Mumble
                Thanks!
                That’s what I was wanting to know.

Mr Asa
                Thanks for the links.

Steve A W

Member of the MOB chapter.
                I live in Northwest Indiana

RICHARD A. WHITE
                Participant

Lifetime Member

Hey now.. I got bubbles coming from my tank…LOL
                  Tried my big charger…no bubbles, I had suspected it was no longer working, now confirmed…attached 1.5 amp charger, bubbles appeared nearly instantly.
                  And I used a large piece of angle iron about 7 inches long and I suspended it about 3 inches above the bottom…

WOOHOOOO

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                  classicomctools@gmail.com

RICHARD A. WHITE
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

And now my charger keeps shutting off… Thoughts as to why? Shows Error, well the error light keeps lighting up…

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                    classicomctools@gmail.com

fisherman6
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Richard,
                      I have not yet done this myself, but havery heard that automatic chargers typically don’t work well. It seems to require a ‘dumb’ (not smart or float or maintainer) charger. I’m not sure what you are using, but I’m guessing if it shutting off, it isn’t just a simple battery charger. I could still be wrong about that? I need to get something set up for this since I have a bunch of tanks that could use a derusting.
                      -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

david-bartlett
                      Participant

Hook the charger to a battery and then connect the battery to your electrodes and it will work.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.