Home Forum Ask A Member Mumbles, Eletrolosis ?

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    RICHARD A. WHITE
    Participant

Lifetime Member

Ya know I remember seeing that..DUH!!!!!!

Thanks

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
      classicomctools@gmail.com

chris-p
      Participant

Here is what I do.

I do more than just tanks, so wanted to build a system that I could drop anything into.

I use a large plastic tote.

I ran lengths of rebar around the circumference of the tote. I drilled little holes on either side of the rebar, at the top of the tote, above the water line, then twist tied them to the tote.

I ran jumper wires from rebar to rebar to rebar, connected to POS on the charger.

Then connect the negative to whatever you drop into the tote, be it a tank, or any other rusty items. The benefit of this system, is that it gets at the rust on the inside and outside of the tank, and as stated, you can use it on other items other than tanks. The down side of this is it takes more soda of course, and more liquid, which is not a big deal, its cheap enough.

ausf233
        Participant
          quote Richard A. White:

And now my charger keeps shutting off… Thoughts as to why? Shows Error, well the error light keeps lighting up…

Hi Richard, your charger may be going in to current limit mode and shutting itself down to protect itself.

The strength of the electrolyte solution will determine how much current is drawn from the charger. If the solution is too strong (too much soda) then it’s resistance will be low and hence more current will flow. naturally this current is drawn from the charger.

Also, its important to note is that electrolytic solutions derived from soda ash or sodium carbonate will generally have a negative temperature co-efficient. In other words as the solution warms up, it’s resistance reduces. So it’s possible to have a situation that when you first power up your charger the current is low and within the operating range of your charger, but as it warms up, the current drawn increases to a point that causes your charger to shut down on over-current.

Try a slightly weaker concentrate. I suspect that may help.

Regards,
          S

PugetSoundBoater
          Participant
            quote david bartlett:

Hook the charger to a battery and then connect the battery to your electrodes and it will work.

There ya go,that is a brilliant solution.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
            Robbie Robertson

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.