Elgin 12HP Lower Unit

Home Forum Ask A Member Elgin 12HP Lower Unit

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

• JN

Replies: 0
    Topics: 1

I replaced the bearings, bushing, and prop shaft seal on my Elgin 12HP. It took awhile to define and locate parts so to save others time here are the specifics:

Prop shaft ball bearing – FAG EE10 SINGLE ROW BALL BEARING 1-1/8″ X 2-1/8″ X 3/8″ Ebay $8.99
    Drive shaft bearing – NEW DEPARTURE R12 3/4″ x 1-5/8″ x 5/16″ Ebay $15.00
    Prop shaft seal – EAI Oil Shaft Seal 9/16″x1″x1/4″ TC Double Lip w/ Spring Ebay $11.99
    I couldn’t find a bushing for the prop shaft so I made one from these two parts – Oilite Bunting Powdered Metal Bronze Sleeve Bushing 9/16″ x 3/4″ x 3/4″ Ebay $3.95 and Oilite Bronze Oil Impregnated Thrust Washer 3/4″ x 1 1/4″ x 1/8″ Ebay $6.50 The thrust washer fit snuggly on the sleeve and I soldered the two together making one piece matching the original bushing.

My prop shaft was worn severely at the prop shaft bushing rendering it unserviceable. Using a stainless rod in my stick welder I built up the shaft (10 minutes). After straightening it with a press (necessary after welding) (15 minutes) I chucked it in the drill press to spin it and with a hand grinder took it down to size (30 minutes) finishing it with 800 grit wet/dry sand paper (10 minutes). It came out perfect, undetectable from a new shaft.

There you have it!

Jerry

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.