Home Forum Ask A Member Elgin 57-58401 2.5hp

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    kirkp
    Participant

Bob, already been to both but thanks anyway.
      Kirk

leeinnh
      Participant

so. it is a bit tricky– but check the discount marine parts site–

click on outboards on the left, select Elgin, and scroll down to see the serial numbers

this is the only place I have found anything– I wonder if Jim Moffatt has more

definitive stuff

http://discount-marine-parts.com/ob_elgin_1.html

kirkp
        Participant

Thanks Lee. I’ve looked at that one. Best I can cipher is that in ’46 the serial numbers end with 19,000. Then between ’47 and ’51 they went from 19,001 and 401,000. I don’t know that I put a lot of stock in those numbers looking at the huge leap between ’46 and ’47. Not sure what to think.
          Kirk

jim-moffatt
          Participant

US Member

Elgin 401 seals

he is probably right 0.4375 is 7/16″ and 3/4 OD is probably right. Thickness should be 1/4″.
            The seals are about .003 oversize on the OD to allow their plastic coating to press in the hole. so look for 7/16 ID 3/4 OD 1/4 Thick. I have gotten them at NAPA.

kirkp
            Participant

test

kirkp
              Participant

Hanging around the house a lot more recently as I’m some many are. Got back to playing with this motor with the thought that I’d see if it would turn over. Is in very good shape and when I first brought it home I gave it a squirt of fuel and it did kick over. Wanted to take it a bit further with some fuel in the tank but thought I’d clean the fuel filter first. So, cleaned the filter and reinstalled it, put some fuel in the tank and had a leak where the fitting threads into the tank. Thought maybe I used the incorrect sealant so tried some Sure Seal and it leaked even worse. So I tried some of the yellow teflon tape and it still leaked. Did a little looking around and found that the threaded fitting in the tank was cracked. Two possibilities: a PO cracked it in the past which might explain the fact that the tank is in such good shape (still has the original spark plug which is pretty clean) OR the idiot current owner cracked it over tightening the filter.

So, what does the masses think the odds of finding someone to TIG weld the tank? Other than getting a different tank it’s the only option I can think of.

Thanks
                Kirk

dave-bernard
                Participant

US Member

get it welded.

The Boat House
                  Participant

kirkp
                    Participant

Interesting Tubs. So are you thinking that the JB will POSSIBLY seal the crack in the fitting?
                      Kirk

frankr
                      Participant

US Member

Blue Locktite Threadlocker.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.