Home Forum Ask A Member Elto Cub info

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    count
    Participant

I’m restoring a Cub and thought maybe someone could tell me a good starting point for the mixture needle. One full turn out? Two? Before I took it apart it was about five or six turns out, and it was flooding badly.

smokeonthewater
      Participant

By no means an official answer here, but I’ve generally used 1 turn on my small Elto’s to get me in the ballpark, when the original adjustment was found to be “somewhere in the weeds”

The Boat House
        Participant

count
          Participant

Thanks very much! Looks like 3/4 turn was just about right. However, I cannot get it to start in the water. I can start it on the stand then lift it and put it in the barrel. It dies immediately. Does it need new rings? Part number? Where can I get them?

The Boat House
            Participant

count
              Participant

Thanks, Tubs. I will get in touch with them. I have not taken the powerhead apart yet. Do you know the part number or size? Or maybe Otto knows the size…

garry-in-michigan
                Participant

Lifetime Member

The usual problem is poor crankcase compression. The smaller the piston , the more sensitive it is too ware. A thousandth or two is hardy noticed on a big piston, but is a large amount as a percentage of size on a small one. Singles and alternate firing twins load the forward part of the main bearings which causes them to became egg shaped. This coupled with a lack of seals also causes a loss of pressure. The 2-½ horse Johnson is also sensitive in that respect. You can compensate somewhat by using a heavier oil. ie. SAE 40 or 60 weight. This would probably require a hotter heat range spark plug and will carbon over the exhaust ports. Some have knearled or stretched the piston skirt to increase sealing, but you don’t have much material to work with.

Garry in Michigan

The Boat House
                  Participant

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.