Home Forum Ask A Member ELTO Fuel Tank

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    chris-p
    Participant

Tonights Project!

We had discussed removing the instruction panels on the top of the tank in another thread. Just to report for anyone searching this in the future, if you hit them with a torch for a few seconds, and take a scraper to them they slide right off with ease. There is just solder around the outer edge (on the 2 J model tanks I have anyways). Its actually a lot easier than I had imagined.

I have the tanks soaking in rust gel right now, then going to submerge them in my electrolysis tank. Then the fun of sanding and polishing begins.

Attachments:

north796
      Participant

I’m glad your posting this. I have a rudder twin in the lineup, but its three back. Great info.
        Nelson

dmbono
        Participant

that tank is nickel plated steel. without the plating, it will quickly rust. Not sure why you would polish it
          0P it

wbeaton
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years
            quote dmbono:

that tank is nickel plated steel. without the plating, it will quickly rust. Not sure why you would polish it
            0P it

He intends to have it nickel plated. You want the tank as perfect and shiny as possible before nickel plating.

Wayne
            Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

chris-p
            Participant

Like Wayne said, I’m going to plate it. I’m just being cheap, and trying to have it prepped as much as I can for them so I don’t have a $1000 tank on my hands!

The old plating is on there pretty good. Not as easy to get off as I imagined. Not a 1 night job like the flywheel anyways. There is always tomorrow.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.