ELTO Fuel Tank

Home Forum Ask A Member ELTO Fuel Tank

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar chris-p 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    chris-p
    Canada Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 2473
    Topics: 157

Tonights Project!

We had discussed removing the instruction panels on the top of the tank in another thread. Just to report for anyone searching this in the future, if you hit them with a torch for a few seconds, and take a scraper to them they slide right off with ease. There is just solder around the outer edge (on the 2 J model tanks I have anyways). Its actually a lot easier than I had imagined.

I have the tanks soaking in rust gel right now, then going to submerge them in my electrolysis tank. Then the fun of sanding and polishing begins.

Attachments:

north796
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 12
    Topics: 8

I’m glad your posting this. I have a rudder twin in the lineup, but its three back. Great info.
    Nelson

dmbono
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 74
    Topics: 13

that tank is nickel plated steel. without the plating, it will quickly rust. Not sure why you would polish it
    0P it

wbeaton
    Canada Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 668
    Topics: 74
    quote dmbono:

that tank is nickel plated steel. without the plating, it will quickly rust. Not sure why you would polish it
    0P it

He intends to have it nickel plated. You want the tank as perfect and shiny as possible before nickel plating.

Wayne
    Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

chris-p
    Canada Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 2473
    Topics: 157

Like Wayne said, I’m going to plate it. I’m just being cheap, and trying to have it prepped as much as I can for them so I don’t have a $1000 tank on my hands!

The old plating is on there pretty good. Not as easy to get off as I imagined. Not a 1 night job like the flywheel anyways. There is always tomorrow.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.