Elto Handitwin coil

Home Forum Ask A Member Elto Handitwin coil

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• carl barcus

Replies: 0
    Topics: 5

Is the Elto Handitwin 4357 secondary coil really a continuous coil with no ground connection(only plug attachments for each plug)? I assume in that case the plug connections are at each end of the winding. It seems to me the secondary is actually 2 coils with a connection to ground.. Can anyone refer me to a complete instruction on how to replace the coil with a modern coil? Thanks for all the help–Carl.

lyks2tinkr

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 402
    Topics: 55

The secondary on those coils are isolated from ground.
    Both plugs fire at the same time.
    Have you measured the secondary resistance of the coil?
    I believe they should check in the 3 to 5k ohm range.
    If the coil is bad you can place an ad in webvertize for an exact replacement or there are new dual output coils available that can be adapted for use.

garry-in-michigan

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 3583
    Topics: 31

YES! – it IS a single winding. The common ground is through the base of the spark plugs. If you ground one plug wire, you will have twice the voltage at the other plug wire. A good coil will jump a half inch gap between the ends of the two high voltage wires. Holding a wire in each hand while someone cranks the motor will burn out your pacemaker . . .

jeff-register

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1562
    Topics: 54

Carl,
    everyone is correct, one winding with the two ends connected to your spark plugs (2). Once the points open the energy stored in the primary winding transfers to the secondary winding. Now it’s charged the energy is looking for the easiest path to ground. It could be either plug which has a little less resistance & goes to ground. The other plug “sees” less resistance ( thru the arc) & goes to ground too. Happens in a micro second.
    Garry is correct! I used these dual fire coils in my Mercury motor because stock ones are not available . I grounded one of the secondary outputs as I’m firing just one plug. Again 50% less resistance gave me 50% more energy for a very hot spark.

The Boat House

Replies: 4549
    Topics: 111

The Boat House

Replies: 4549
    Topics: 111

https://youtu.be/bpT9MRgZa58

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.