ELTO PAL

Home Forum Ask A Member ELTO PAL

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
    Stinger

Replies: 6
    Topics: 1

I have an Alto Pal model-4266 that is dis-assembled and I am looking for someone to put it back in running order. It is all there and was not completely taken apart when cleaning took place. It was handed down from grandfather to father to son (me). I used it a lot prior to going to the Army and upon return I found it had been painted a bright red by a very young family member. I took it to a body shop that said they could clean it up for me by sand blasting. they said using any type of cleaner or chemical on the aluminum would ruin it. When I picked it up I got it back in pieces with an explanation that they had to take it apart so as to get all the spray paint off. They couldn’t put it back together so they didn’t charge me for the cleaning. Now I need to find someone with the expertise and knowledge of my little motor to put it together.
    I’m not sure how this forum works but if anyone can help me I can compensate for the work to be done

Buccaneer
    Buccaneer

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 3269
    Topics: 910

If you go to the “About” link at the top of the main page, under there is a list of Chapters for
    the different States. Some of the chapters listed have web pages where you may be
    able to contact someone close to you. If you mention your city / state, maybe
    someone will reach out to you.

Prepare to be boarded!

Tubs
    Tubs

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 2494
    Topics: 149

You got some bad advice to start with.
    Chemical strippers wouldn’t hurt the
    aluminum and is much preferred to
    getting sand in the motor.
    What state are you in?

garry-in-michigan

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 3312
    Topics: 30

I am in north central Michigan (Houghton lake) and would love to help

Stinger

This is good to know and thank you for the help

Stinger

I just wasn’t sure at the time about the chemical cleaning and after getting my motor home I looked it all over very good as well as taking air and blowing every part. It appears to be grit free at this time. I am in west central part of Iowa. I have been working on an old wooden three seat boat that was very much like what my grandfather had so I would like to have the motor back together and running so I can put them both on the water again. Thank you for your help

Stinger

I have the very same parts list and diagram sheet that you posted. It was sent to me from Ken Cook and I thought about trying to put my Alto back together myself but I really don’t have the tools and if I was to need gaskets or seals or just anything then I would have to start searching. A friend of mine suggested looking for someone who is furnished or at least knowledgeable in putting it back together for me. I accept your offer to help and if we can exchange contact info like phone numbers because I am more understanding of what is being said talking to someone then writing. Let me know how you feel to that and we can go forward either way. Thank you for your response

frankr
    frankr

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 4585
    Topics: 43

You got an offer from the best. I think Garry might have been there when the motor was built. Or maybe his Dad was,

Stinger

Thank you for the response. Yes Garry did offer and I replied. Have not heard back from him yet

Tubs
    Tubs

US Member - 1 Year

Stinger

Well Tubs I haven’t heard back from Gary as of yet and from what I am getting from the posts is that he is the man. I also feel that you and many more have a great deal of knowledge about the antique motors so like I said in my post before is that I am in need of some expertise and will compensate for the help. I will be getting ahold of you soon. Thanks again

Tubs
    Tubs

US Member - 1 Year

Garry is the man.
    I’m just offering to be backup if it doesn’t work out.

lloyd

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 150
    Topics: 0

I have restored some Pals and Scouts etc. in the past and still have some parts if needed. I am in Traverse City Michigan about an hour and a half from Gary. If I can help let me know.

garry-in-michigan

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 3312
    Topics: 30

Sorry for the delay – it’s been a hectic week. Yes – that is small enough I can work on it in my computer room. The problem is in the painting. Not enough ventilation inside and no heat in the garage to do it their. Actually no room in my garage since my sister parked this boat and motor (Which now belongs the my nephew) in their to make room in the 2-½ car garage at the cottage for the stuff she brought from Florida. Most of MY Florida stuff didn’t make it . She stepped in some loose sod last week ( she added gas heat to the cottage) and fell down breaking the tip of the tibia in three places. She is now in Baltimore Maryland for Orthopedic surgery. She is staying with her daughter Kimberly and is expected back in four months. Dad and I used to get 14 boats and a picnic table in their. Now the AlumaCraft is upside down outside.
    Jim Webb, AOMCI historian, and Chap Spencer, my dad – fone no. nine eight nine two seven three one three seven nine

Our alumacraft

labrador-guy
    labrador-guy

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 227
    Topics: 28

Yes sir! That’s why they call these people the “Greatest generation”.

dale

get’em wet don’t let’em set!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.