Home Forum Ask A Member Elto parts pile

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    davidk
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have a pile of parts that look like much of an Elto Ruddertwin. I think I have a mix here, from earlier and later motors. The fuel tank has been identified as a 1922-24. The timer is marked “1926 Super G.” The rudders are hollow, which, I gather, means they are later. Powerhead seems to roll over nicely. I know I’m missing a coil. Anyway to date the powerhead? Is there enough there to put something together?

IMG_2277

IMG_2269

IMG_2279

davidk
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

IMG_2219

IMG_2280

IMG_2278

Tom
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

David,

It looks like you have an A or C flywheel and tank, but the powerhead has G cylinders. The G cylinders were larger than the earlier ones and have a funky bypass configuration unique to that model.)

If the tag on the timer is correct, it looks like you need a G flywheel, a G tank, and a timer strap to make smoke.

T

wbeaton
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Photos of the side of the mid section would help. I would say the motor is a 1924-25 model C. I will go further and say i think it’s a 1925 model C that had the fuel tank replaced and re-decaled as a 1925. 1924-25 tanks have round corners and 1921 has the fuel filler up front. That makes the tank 1922-23. The tank decal is 1925 only in-spite of what you see on the decal provider websites. 1925 was the first year for the 2 hole ELTO script transom screws, which it appears this motor has.

Wayne
            Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

wbeaton
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Guess I answered before you finished posting photos. The transom bracket looks like a model C/D. The carb is 1926 or newer. Midsection is model A or C. The tank could be a 1923 model A. I think you have a big collection of bits from several motors.

I’m not as well versed on the 1926 and later light twins. I think the exhaust of the larger model G won’t fit the model C midsection. The bracket that holds the rudder and water tubes is a different shape on the 1926 and newer motors. It’s more of a crest shape than yours. I couldn’t tell you if it’s a model G powerhead, but the rest appears earlier IMO. I could easily be wrong.

Wayne
              Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by wbeaton.
              The Boat House
              Participant

davidk
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for the input, everyone. I think I may be able to build a turducken from this pile : )

wbeaton
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Agreed. It is a good pile of desirable parts. It even has the exhaust cut out, which is often missing. Check the flywheel for cracks around the hub. They frequently crack from improper torque.

Wayne
                    Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

davidk
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I don’t see any cracks on the flywheel. Good to know to watch for that.

IMG_2221

wbeaton
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Flywheel looks good.

Wayne
                        Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.