Home Forum Ask A Member ELTO Ruddertwin Flywheel Restoration

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    fisherman6
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years
      quote david bartlett:

Chris S,

One of these days I will find one of these rudder twins and participate, but you can bet I enjoy following along on these topics. I am sure many others do too.

^^^What you said, Dave.^^^

-Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

RICHARD A. WHITE
      Participant

Lifetime Member
        quote Chris_P:

Thanks George.

I have read numerous online articles about that very same thing. Even with the chrome powder coating. Apparently you MUST clear coat it, and that causes it to turn gray colour, as you mention. Many guys have had that very complaint.

Im going to polish it. I treated the rust this afternoon for the heavy rust. Then put it in the electrolysis tank. Rust free now. Started the sanding, im a few steps in now and pretty confident I make make it look pretty good.

Is there a trick to getting the flywheel knob off? Lefty loosey all you need to know? I have 2 flywheels and the slotted screw feels like its welded in there. Thought perhaps there may be a trick.

Not mandatory, but would make polishing easier if it would come off.

Yes there is a trick…. it is literally driven out from the bottom thru the top… The bottom is flared out to hold it in place, don’t ask HOW I know, but do NOT try to unscrew it 🙁

To reinstall, use a ball peen hammer as a setting tool to reset the flare..

Credit to Chris Scratch, The Master for enlightening me on this process

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
        classicomctools@gmail.com

chris-p
        Participant

Thanks A lot Richard! I was running out of penetrating oil and propane! lol

chris-p
          Participant

Well after about 4 hours this is where I’m at with it. Not as good as a re chrome, but not too bad. To get it better I think I would have to put it in a lathe and take it down.

THis is the before

Attachments:

chris-p
            Participant

This is where Im at with it right now. Now that I know the trick to getting the handle off, I can polish the pocket better.

Attachments:

slim60
              Participant

Looking good Chris; I’ve been sanding mine for a week. By the time it looks like your’s maybe I’ll find a coil.

chris-p
                Participant

Slim,

Use a Zephyr coil and use your existing tube and make your own. I can send you the wiring instructions.

or you can buy one pre made from Art D., he has taken over from Doug Penn. You send him your core and he sends you a rebuilt one.

dan-in-tn
                  Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

PM T2; Some of us are always reading & watching to see what we can learn. Just picked up a ’29 Super Elto Speedster last week. It’s in pretty good shape having been re-done a few years back. I also have a Ruddertwin. No tank tag, but been told it is most likely a C model (by Brook N.). Haven’t even begun to start on either yet, but have plans for both. Always enjoy the discussions about the really old stuff. Thanks!

Dan in TN

The Boat House
                    Participant
                      chris-p
                      Participant

Sorry Tubs if I offended you. I was simply trying to help Slim out, as others have helped me. Not claiming to be a coil expert by any means lol.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 24 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.