elto ruddertwin timing

Home Forum Ask A Member elto ruddertwin timing

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• muddog2

Replies: 93
    Topics: 44

I took the cover off the timing and when I turn the shaft around I hear the click, but I don’t see the points move to contact the springs. Here are some pictures.

muddog2

I took the gas tank off, coil, timer, flywheel, to do some cleaning. Here are some pictures.

muddog2

Some more pictures

muddog2

I know the rod on the left that pulls up is to release pressure from exhaust when starting. The know on the bottom of carb is to adjust flow, What is the bar on the top for?
    Here are some pictures of coil and wires. I am going to try to use as is at first. I saw a video on how to use the case on this coil and put a new coil inside and wires. Looks like something I would be able t do.

wbeaton

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1037
    Topics: 101

The points don’t close in the traditional manner. The hammer click is the sound of the points closing. It only lasts for fractions of a second.

The rod on top of the carb limits the height of the poppet valve. You adjust it for best operation when running.

Wayne
    Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

RICK EICHRODT

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 267
    Topics: 79

The Atwater-Kent ignition system uses a spring loaded hammer to trigger the points to close. It happens so fast that you cannot see it with the naked eye. If you put on some magnifying glasses and look closely, you can glimpse a view of the action. The points are set at .009 inches and the only way to do any adjusting is to add or subtract the shims that are on the point end, with the screw. You should be able to see the shims there. Do NOT bend the long arm of the points. Usually the contacts just need a good cleaning. The Atwater-Kent is a good system and produces a great spark.

Rick

The Boat House

Replies: 4558
    Topics: 111

muddog2

Thanks for the information.
    Robert

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.