Home Forum Ask A Member Epoxy, weld, how best should I patch this?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    mr-asa
    Participant

Sandblasted my QD-15 to prep it for paint, while I was wiping everything down and cleaning it, I found a small hole through the exterior of the top half of the lower unit. It’s a little hard to see, but you can see light shining through that small imperfection towards the front of the part.

I’ve got plenty of 2-part epoxy around the place, but should I find a welder to knock it out? I’m not in any real hurry as I can always do a light sanding to knock off any massive buildups of Al2O3 that might show up (not that I think there will be a lot)

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member

how about drill and tap and put a allen set screw with epoxy.

jw-in-dixie
        Participant

I had a good welder try to weld a KG7 ice cracked foot and I ended up less one good foot!
          I since have used JB Weld with excellent results.

The metal used in most old motor parts is poor, at best, is porous and wicks oil making welding difficult. They have to get the metal so hot to weld that it can warp, as in my case.

JW in Dixie

tom-in-ri
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Do you think the little hole was just a thin casting and blasting took away the skin? Or do you think the hole was from an outside hit?
            Gut feeling is welding going to be tricky. Epoxy, if done well can last the lifetime. Drill, tap, non-ferrous screw bedded in epoxy could also do well. I have done a few automotive engines and transmissions using the drill,tap,screw in epoxy technique and never had a failure but I don’t know how thick your metal is or what the clearances may be inside.

frankr
            Participant

US Member

Epoxy it. If it is thick enough, grind a bit of a recess and fill. it. That way it won’t show when you fair it out.

jerry-ahrens
              Participant

US Member

I have used Marine Tex 2 part epoxy with good results. JB Weld would probably work fine but I prefer Marine Tex. Very tuff stuff. http://www.marinetex.com

wedgie
                Participant

+ 1 on the Marinetex.
                  There was a frost crack on the gearhousing of a ’54 Fleetwin that I grooved out and filled with the epoxy. While I havent had it on a boat yet I am confident that it will hold up . I cant find the "after " pick, but here it is before I filled it.

http://s635.photobucket.com/user/weedle … 4.jpg.html

mr-asa
                  Participant

Dadgum Wedgie, that’s a good sized crack you’ve got there.

Ok, sounds like epoxy will work
                    Should I drill it out some and apply the epoxy, or leave it as it is to flow through?

20mercman
                    Participant

US Member

I don’t think you would have any issues with such a small hole with epoxy, especially a JB Weld type of product, but I have welded up many gear housings, and it is not as hard as folks think. Aluminum is a metal that will absorb impurities. It is important to get it as clean as you can, but I often find that the first thing I need to do after I make the first weld is to grind it off and start over. The first time you get it that hot, you start to burn out those impurities and they can make you weld look terrible and not strong. I don’t fret it, I just do it over again. The post that Wedgie posted would be a fairly easy repair. Grind out a "V" and get a good puddle going and sew it up!

Steve

mr-asa
                      Participant

quote 20mercman:

I don’t think you would have any issues with such a small hole with epoxy, especially a JB Weld type of product, but I have welded up many gear housings, and it is not as hard as folks think. Aluminum is a metal that will absorb impurities. It is important to get it as clean as you can

Steve

If I do get it welded, I’d probably cut it away to get rid of any and all impurities by drilling it out or using a counter-sink bit to cut away a valley for it.

I might try epoxy though.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.