Evinrude 18 HP Fastwin won’t rev high under load

Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude 18 HP Fastwin won’t rev high under load

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)

• JerseyBoater

Replies: 7
    Topics: 1

Hi all,
    I’ve been fighting with this thing for weeks now, having adjusted just about everything I can and replaced several parts in the process. The only thing I haven’t touched is any of the ignition under the flywheel.

The engine idles great, and in the tank appears to do everything it should – I’ve had the tach on it and it revs up well over 5K.

When I get in the boat on the water (14 foot aluminum Starcraft), the engine seems to die under load. The boat tops out at about 6 kts. and the engine obviously is losing something somewhere.

I’ve been going through my manual trying to eliminate variables – one of them is clogged exhaust or exhaust getting into carburetor. How do I check this, and also what other ideas does anyone have? I have a tune up kit ready for it but I’ve been reticent to pull the flywheel for fear I’ll screw something up worse 🙂

Thanks all

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

You absolutely need to pull that flywheel and see what you have. ALL of those motors need new coils unless they have already been replaced. Not to fear, but use a proper flywheel puller and you Must use a torque wrench to reinstall it.

billw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2071
    Topics: 66

Yes, and please don’t rev it to five grand in the test tank, especially if you mean in neutral. Revving an engine high in neutral doesn’t prove ANYTHING about it’s running condition.

Long live American manufacturing!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by billw.

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

Depending on the year, your engine may have an inspection cover on top of the flywheel that will allow a quick look at the coils without having to pull the flywheel…If the coil cases are cracked/broken, we are on the right track… Simply remove the rewind starter… An older engine will have a little inspection cover on top of the flywheel that is removed with four screws…

Mark Nord

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1

Definitely need to pull the flywheel. Those coils tend to be bad. Also change the points and condenser while youre at it. I’ve had points get burned up and when they do it makes you think you have a fuel problem. I’ve almost never had fuel problems. They always tend to be ignition issues.

JerseyBoater

Thanks for all the replies folks. When I said revving to 5 grand it was in gear in a tank and for about half a second.

Anyhow, I will try to pull the flywheel off this evening and see what things look like. I actually already have most of the parts onhand. Unfortunately I have no peep window to see.

Will update as soon as I can, thanks again.

JerseyBoater

UPDATE:

I pulled the flywheel and replaced the coils and condensers. Put it back together and the throttle arm will not turn to advance the throttle. It won’t start obviously, came close and coughed once but that was it then I realized the throttle wouldn’t advance.

What did I screw up? The flywheel was torqued correctly and the key was lined up. Not sure what would cause the throttle to be “stuck”

Thanks.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by JerseyBoater.

dave-bernard

Replies: 2014
    Topics: 30

are the coils hitting the flywheel?????????

JerseyBoater

I suppose it’s possible, I don’t have a ring tool or anything. But would that prevent the throttle from advancing? I don’t know, I’m asking.

dave-bernard

Replies: 2014
    Topics: 30

yes check it with the flywheel off.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by dave-bernard.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.