Evinrude 18 HP Fastwin won’t rev high under load

Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude 18 HP Fastwin won’t rev high under load

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)

• JerseyBoater

Replies: 7
    Topics: 1

Ok ill rip it apart again in the morning. Thanks for the information.

bobw

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 2448
    Topics: 56

Also look for the mag plate mounting screws being drawn up too tight causing the retaining ring to pull upward and bind against the plate support ring.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
    1954 Johnson CD-11
    1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
    1958 Johnson QD-19
    1958 Johnson FD-12
    1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
    "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

JerseyBoater

Also look for the mag plate mounting screws being drawn up too tight causing the retaining ring to pull upward and bind against the plate support ring.

Are these the screws that hold the chips on? I didn’t take the mag plate off, only the condensers and coils….

bobw

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 2448
    Topics: 56

Two of the coil mounting bolts go thru the mag plate and engage the retaining ring. If you wrung them down really tight, they could cause the retaining ring to bind a bit. Doubtful, but possible. As Dave noted, first pull the flywheel and try to advance the throttle – if it moves freely, the retaining screws are not the problem.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
    1954 Johnson CD-11
    1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
    1958 Johnson QD-19
    1958 Johnson FD-12
    1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
    "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

JerseyBoater

Update….Mystery solved, at least as it relates to the throttle not advancing.

So I got enough time in between rain storms to pull the flywheel off and look over everything again.

What I discovered was that the replacement screws that came with the new coils were too long and were causing the mag plate to be stuck in place – hence throttle wouldn’t advance.

The throttle / mag plate / cam / etc is all free and moving like normal again.

Rain started falling again right as I buttoned it up so the real testing of the new ignition parts is going to have to wait.

Thank you all for your help so far!

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

Update….Mystery solved, at least as it relates to the throttle not advancing.

So I got enough time in between rain storms to pull the flywheel off and look over everything again.

What I discovered was that the replacement screws that came with the new coils were too long and were causing the mag plate to be stuck in place – hence throttle wouldn’t advance.

The throttle / mag plate / cam / etc is all free and moving like normal again.

Rain started falling again right as I buttoned it up so the real testing of the new ignition parts is going to have to wait.

Thank you all for your help so far!

Yes, I have seen this on the screws included with new OEM coils….. It is not the screws that thread into the aluminum anchor, but the other screw that threads in too far and rubs on the retaining ring….

JerseyBoater

Will be taking out tonight to see if the coils / condensers did the trick. Had to wait for the river to get back down to a reasonable level after the storm this weekend…..will update then.

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.