Evinrude 1955 Fastwin throttle sync problem

Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude 1955 Fastwin throttle sync problem

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 31 total)

• dave-bernard

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 2014
    Topics: 30

how about tapping to the next size bolt make stronger.

bob-d

Replies: 513
    Topics: 104

Crowsbeak , here are the Time Serts that I use. I got them from Amazon. It may possibly be overkill, but I use them all the time in my cars and other outboards, and have never had a problem yet with one of them pulling out. Super strong. Large initial investment at first, but after you buy the kit the extra Time Serts aren’t that costly.
    You might want to go the route that Dave B suggests, or Helicoils. Just remember that the screw thread is a 10-24.
    Good luck, this is certainly not one of the fun aspects of outboard restoration. I will post some pictures of the completed Time Serts in place, if there is any interest .
    Bob D

Magical-Snap-2020.05.13-10.59-001

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by bob-d.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Mumbles.

bob-d

Sorry, just saw an error in my last post. The thread on the exhaust plate screws is a 10-24 not 10-20.
    Bob D

crowsbeak

Replies: 52
    Topics: 6

Bob D thank you for the info on time serts and would love to see pictures after they are installed. Also great work on this motor! I have one as well and love it.

Dave Bernard thank you for the Advice and actually I was planning to drill and tap to the next size as you suggest but am always intrigued by alternate methods and new tools for the box!

1954 Evinrude 7.5 HP
    1954 Evinrude 15 HP
    1954 Gale 12 HP
    1956 Gale 12 HP
    1956 Evinrude 5.5 HP
    1960 Evinrude 18 HP
    1973 Johnson 6 HP

billw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2071
    Topics: 66

I have never used the exact brand of inserts shown in the above picture. However, I have had some experience with that TYPE of insert, when trying to repair spark plug threads. The trouble that I saw with that type, is that no matter how hard we tried to secure them, with red Loctite, epoxy, whatever, they would frequently back out, when the fastener or spark plug was removed. Heli-coils are different, and in my opinion, better. They are basically a coil of metal, used to create a thread. They are bigger than the hole that they thread into. When they thread in, they are under tension to start with. This helps keep them locked in place. When a fastener is removed from a Heli-coil repaired hole, the counter-clockwise action tends to expand the coil and lock it in more tightly, if anything; so they don’t back out. Having used both types of thread repair methods, I will pick a Heli-coil every time.

Long live American manufacturing!

bob-d

Crowsbeak here are the pictures of the Time Sert repair that you requested. Basically done in four steps:
    Drill out existing bolt.
    Use countersink attachment in kit.
    Thread hole for Time Sert
    Thread in Time Sert with their special tool provided in kit.
    Bill W, I agree with you regarding not using this type of repair for a cylinder head. I tried the brand below in the picture for a 51 Johnson 10HP and experienced the same problem that you had with the threaded portion coming out with the plug. Ended up just getting a new cylinder head.
    It was not made by the Time Sert company so I don’t have any experience if they have a kit that would work. I do believe however that for mangled bolt the Time Sert repair is the way to go.
    Bob D

Drill-Hole

image2A

image3

image1

bob-d

This is the brand insert that did not work on a spark plug hole.
    Bob D

image2

crowsbeak

Replies: 52
    Topics: 6

Bob D,

Thank you for the pictures and instructions. I’m still working on that last bolt, but once it is out I plan to utilize this fix.

1954 Evinrude 7.5 HP
    1954 Evinrude 15 HP
    1954 Gale 12 HP
    1956 Gale 12 HP
    1956 Evinrude 5.5 HP
    1960 Evinrude 18 HP
    1973 Johnson 6 HP

JOHN HOLBIK

Replies: 162
    Topics: 2

AT our resort back int the early seventies we started to use the timesert style inserts for spark plugs.They went in great but even with red lock tite most backed out.It was a real dissapoinment as they worked so well.

bob-d

John, I totally agree. I’ve tried a version of them (noted above in the picture), and they didn’t work for head repair applications. I still swear by the Time-Sert brand for broken bolts holes. Outboard heads are usually not too expensive, and generally available. I now just replace if I have a problem.
    I once was on the lake with an1948 Neptune 1.7HP. I knew that the head threads for the plug were kind of dicey. Started it up, accelerated, and all of a sudden heard and loud bang. The plug shot out about 10′ out the back of the boat into the lake. That was the end of my short trip.
    Bob D

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.