Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude ’57 Fisherman Throttle / Idle Adjustment?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

that’s a beauty, glad it is working right now

chris-p
      Participant

You are correct, those notches are for setting the points timing, IF you do not have a timing fixture.

The trouble with using the flywheel is, routing the wires attached to the mag plate and points that go to your light/buzz box/meter. Some guys drill holes in the mag plate to allow the wiring to run out through. I don’t like doing this though.

A timing fixture, is essentially the flywheel, with those notches, and the rest cut away to allow you to work with ease.

A member, F_R on this forum used to make them, not sure if he still does, but if he does I would buy one! They are spectacular. Better than the OEM ones in my opinion.

If you are using brand new points, you set the timing so that the points break when the notch, or arrow of the timing fixture, hits the FIRST hash mark on the mag plate.

If you are using old points, set the timing so that the points break when the notch, or arrow of the timing fixture hits in BETWEEN the hash marks on the mag plate.

This is to allow wear and break in of the new points. They will settle eventually in between the marks.

Glad to see you have her purring like a kitten!

mondobug
        Participant

Just an update. I got to wring out the motor two nights ago. Ran great. I can’t imagine that the starting, running, idling, shifting and cooling could be any better or smoother. Funny story though.

This was after work and with no nav lights, the wife and I only had a couple of hours to cruise. The boat docked in the background – we had just finished towing it with five adults aboard plus a rubber dinghy also in tow on the lake. When they flagged us down, they had three ladies swimming with ropes trying to tow the boat. They would have never made it. Not even to the nearest shoreline. The tow had to be at least a mile and the boat was a stern drive, probably 20 feet.

So is towing a boat of that size and weight bad for this little motor?
          It seems fine.

chris-p
          Participant

Nah, 50s OMCS are tough. Don’t underestimate them! That short tow wouldn’t bother her.

oldboat1
            Participant

US Member

very nice. 18-24:1 oil mix. great little engines.

Mumbles
              Participant

mondobug
                Participant

The book calls for 24:1 for the 5.5 hp and 16:1 for the 7.5. I used 24:1 in the test drum and it was very smoky but smoke was not noticeable on the lake after warm-up. I can go with 16:1 which may be a good compromise for the 1930 8 hp Johnson (the next motor going to try cruising with). Then I could use the same mix for both outboards. At the recommended 10:1 (I actually tried 12:1), that motor made sufficient smoke to share with the entire neighborhood.

This is off subject but I’m haven’t found any information. Has anyone tried LED boat lights? I’m interested in trying some night catfishing. I’m thinking that with LEDs, a smaller, lighter battery may last all night. What would be a good, durable set of lights to buy – and for convenience, just to power the bow and stern lights, how small can I go with the (rechargeable) battery?

THANKS!

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

What a beautiful engine

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                      quote fleetwin:

What a beautiful engine, but it does need the 16:1 oil mix due to the plain connecting rod bushings.
                      oldboat1
                      Participant

US Member

Mondo — I run my 5 1/2 and 10 on 24:1, sometimes shaded slightly on the richer side. I run my 7 1/2 on 16:1 — same info you have, I guess. Anyway, the standard 50:1 would be too lean, and that’s probably the main idea. Trying to remember what I run my ’56 Wizard on (super 5), but think it’s 16:1. Lot’s of opinions on this stuff. (don’t know nuthin ’bout exterior lighting)

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.