Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude 7.5 hp – Hard to pull

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    amuller
    Participant

Can the newer style of starter be installed on the older engine?

wbeaton
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought the motor became hard to pull after you replaced the impeller.

Wayne
        Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

crowsbeak
        Participant

I have a 1954 7.5 and it is my favorite running motor but it is incredibly hard to pull over when cold . After it has been started it will start in 1/2 a pull for the rest of the day, but that initial start is harder to pull than my 54 15 horse.

1954 Evinrude 7.5 HP
          1954 Evinrude 15 HP
          1954 Gale 12 HP
          1956 Gale 12 HP
          1956 Evinrude 5.5 HP
          1960 Evinrude 18 HP
          1973 Johnson 6 HP

Parnold498
          Participant

crossbeak – thanks for the note.

chris-p
            Participant

I would seriously consider what Frank said. Very often that is the case.

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, so the recoil effort did not change before and after the water pump work…
                Gear oil looked “OK”, no evidence of water….
                You seem to indicate that the engine runs fine, so I’m inclined to advise not to mess with it further. I surely don’t want to advise ripping the gearcase apart only to find nothing wrong….I would continue to use the engine and change the gear lube frequently….Any signs of water might spell trouble…
                Again, the usual symptom of a swelled shock spring is that the engine struggles/bogs/stalled when run at high speeds…Correct me if I am wrong, but you don’t seem to be experiencing any of these symptoms….

Parnold498
                Participant

Thanks guys, I decided to leave it as it is and went ahead and winterized it. Since it runs great once started (does not stall at high speeds), next year I am going to live with it for awhile and go out with my buddies (younger than 57 and with good shoulders ). I am hopeful it does get easier to start as the day goes on. As it usually goes with boats/motors, I am looking on craigslist for a new used fishing boat with an electric start motor (I’ll keep the 7.5 to troll with).

Good-Fishing
                  Participant

Run it out of and Drain the fuel after every trip and it will start with less effort.

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.