Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude Aquanaut?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    thephantom
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I was given an Evinrude Aquanaut and was hoping for some info. Anyone ever get one of these running? I think it’s a Lawnboy engine? Google has lots of information but I’m curious about anything first hand.
      Thanks, JoeP in MA

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes, it is a two stroke lawnboy engine. I worked on these many years ago, so don’t remember all the specifics. But, they are only meant for shallow diving, I sure wouldn’t take advantage of the 20′ of hose provided.

frankr
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

We sold, and I serviced several of them at the dealership where I worked. But I stay in the boat, so I’ve never personally used one.

frankr
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Here are a few part numbers (Johnson version)

http://s19.postimg.org/3y6gpx4dv/30_Air_Buoy_Section.jpg

theodore
            Participant

I had one of these as a kid, and loved it. Mine had the full face mask that extended down to your chin, so you could breathe through your nose and mouth. Since the mask was constantly flooded with fresh air, it would never fog up. I think I once saw a version that had only a partial face mask, with a mouthpiece to breathe through.

Engine parts are probably still available as lawn boy parts. Compressor parts will be very hard to find. Whenever you see a parts machine, snap it up. the compressors were rugged and very reliable. Take good are of the masks, belts, and hoses. They will be very hard to find in good condition.

I later replaced mine with my current machine, a Brownies Third Lung.

Years ago, a writer for the Miami Herald spoke about his, and experiencing narcosis, or "rapture of the deep" when using it. He would go down to the bottom for great lengths of time, while his father waited in the boat above, near the floating, running machine. About every 30 minutes, dad would pull the machine near the boat, and refuel it while it was running. Problem was, he spilled much of the fuel over the rocking machine, and lots of the fumes got pumped down to the boy below.

wiscoboater
              Participant

I believe they were also known for sucking in the exhaust fumes, thus leading to their demise.

theodore
                Participant

The compressor intakes were stub tubes that extended up under the shroud. The flagpole was a tube within a tube. The inner tube was the exhaust, which exercises out the top. The outer tube was a "shroud", open at the top and bottom. The carb intake was attached with a rubber hose to the side of this shroud, which would scavenge any possible exhaust leak.

Aquanaut – exhaust exits high, fresh air to diver enters low.

Brownie- exhaust exits low, fresh air enters top of flagstaff to diver. (High)

I think CO is heavier than air, thus the possible problem, especially in a restricted air space, such as the cockpit deck of a sportfisherman on a calm, no breeze day.

Neither unit required cooling water, so they didn’t "have to" be used while floating.

theodore
                  Participant
                    quote wannabe outboard guy:

I believe they were also known for sucking in the exhaust fumes, thus leading to their demise.

I hear what you’re saying, cause I’ve heard it before. That said, I know of no specific case of a user getting sick or dying, nor of any legal action against OMC. Would love to see any documentation regarding those alleged problems.

The newer design of fresh air intake up high is an improvement though, and again, I know of no documented problems with it. They have been doing it this way for over 40 years now.

Mumbles
                    Participant

Speaking of exhaust fumes, I lost a close friend forty years ago who was walking the bottom fishing for geoducks (big clams). The dive compressor on board was inhaling its own fumes and it asphyxiated him. 😥

thephantom
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Funny end to the story. I was all set to pick it up and he told me someone else got it first because he was from the Antique Outboard Motor Club and would restore it. At least it’s going to stay "in the family". 😎

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.