Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude Big Twin 35 hp spark jump

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    mgsolakis
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I’m working on a big twin and it started first pull on oil gas mix sprayed into the cyls, but now it won’t start anymore. I checked the spark an it is consistant but will only jump a small gap. I moved the gap out to 3/4 inch and it won’t jump. What distance should it jump and what should I look at?

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

Seven milimeters or a quarter of an inch …

Is fuel getting to the carburetor?

. . . . . 😉

mgsolakis
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Yes fuel is getting to the carb I can hear it pump in when I prime the tank. But even when I squirt some in the cyls it is not starting now. I’ll check if spark can jump the 7mm.

mgsolakis
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Ok so I checked the spark jump in the dark t get a clearer idea and the bottom is bright blue at 7 mm. The top is inconsistant and a weaker brownish colour. What doe that point to? A weak coil? Poor gap? Any or all?

westwind
            Participant

Canada Member

Try a little fogging oil in the cylinder. You may have washed all of the oil off of the rings by putting gas directly in the cylinders and loosing some compression.

westwind
              Participant

Canada Member

It should at least run on one cylinder if you have good spark on one….

mgsolakis
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Yeah, I figured that but it does not and it is not easy to hand pull a 35 hp engine. I’ll try the fogging oil idea.

rvpapasso
                  Participant

I had a very similar problem with a friend’s 1962 40Hp Evinrude. It would start cold but any attempts to start it after that were to no avail, even putting in a new set of spark plugs. We swapped, mags, ignition modules, used starting fluid, etc. and the results were never consistent. There was no reason this engine would not re-start with healthy compression, good spark, air and fuel. Then on a test run where we shut it done and it would not start I made an observation that jogged my memory.

These engines used a Champion J6J or J4J. This was a special spark plug that had the side electrode cut back so it ended directly over the middle of the center electrode. This arrangement allows for a better spark due to the sharp edge of the side electrode directly over the center electrode to blast through oil and gas film that accumulates on the spark plug.

Since the Champ J6J and J4J is not available anymore the NGK equivalent matches heat range only, NOT the side electrode modification. We pulled the NGK plugs out, cut back the side electrode like the J6J had and ventured out again. NO matter when we shut the motor off, it always started within 1 spin of the flywheel, hot or cold, 10 out of 10 times without fail. It was like magic.

This weekend my friend took his boat out in the bay to do some crabbing, not a good place to have a motor that refuses to start as the sun goes down and wind whipped waves appear. His motor started every time, all day long.

If you aren’t using the Champ J plugs I suggest you modify whatever brand you are using so the side electrode ends over the middle of the center electrode. There is a reason the people at OMC and Champion made this spark plug unique in that aspect and I am not smart enough to fully understand it, I am just reporting this was the magic bullet for my friend’s 1962 40Hp Evinrude.

frankr
                    Participant

US Member

Same reason lightning rods have pointy ends.

mgsolakis
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Interesting story RV. I have the J6J plugs but I switched them to the J6C new plugs from Champion. That said I bypassed the plugs when I tested the spark and it was clearly dull on the top cyl. I pulled the flywheel this morning and the coils are the newer type. Infact everything but the points looks newer. Which set of ignition components correspond to which cyl?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.