Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude Big Twin 35 hp spark jump

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    mgsolakis
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I just noticed something else. The coil farthest from the front of the engine has a wire that has been skinned of its protective plastic coating and the wire is exposed. Have I found my problem? Does that Coit connect to the top cyl?

rvpapasso
      Participant

I don’t have a diagram that shows which mag is top and which is bottom cylinder. You should be able to visually trace the spark plug wires back to the corresponding magneto. Once you find it, label it directly on the mag!

What bothers me about your motor and also my friend’s motor is that these engines will start and run, albeit poorly, on one cylinder. I have limped home a few times on one cylinder with my 1960 40Hp Johnson. As in the case of my friend’s motor and yours, it should make some attempt to run, pop or produce exhaust smoke on the “good” cylinder. Failing to do that indicates the problem is common to both cylinders. Since the ignition system is separate for each cylinder you have to ask why it will not start (or show some signs of life) on the cylinder with the hotter spark?

Granted you may have one cylinder with a weak spark but lacking any signs of life from the other cylinder is what lead me to the spark plug theory on my friend’s motor. In another post Frank Robb confirmed the J6C is not the same as the J6J. If you have J6Js clean, them gap them and give it a try. If you still lack any signs of life from the good cylinder then look for the common point of failure.

wiscoboater
        Participant

The upper cylinder plug wire if original will have a metal band around it a few inches from the plug boot. If not you will have to follow the plug wire back to the coil.

mgsolakis
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I’ll try to follow the wire-it disappears for some time though. As for the not running on 1 cyl, I’m not sure why. I’ll keep working at it and keep updating.

mgsolakis
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Nope there is a cover over the plug wires and it’s impossible to see which is which. I’ll just have to pull the coils and check it out.

frankr
              Participant

US Member

The coil most toward the front (forward) is the top cylinder. I wonder if you aren’t placing too much importance on the color of the spark?

1946zephyr
                Participant

Well I don’t believe the plugs are the issue here, I would clean and re-gap the points. Each coil face you look at, will connect to the points on the right. Otherwords, with the flywheel off, and looking at the motor front, the coil for number one is in the front and the points for that coil sit on the right, toward the throttle lever. The coil for number two is facing the rear and the point set is closest to the shifter.

mgsolakis
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Thanks for all the help, in the end I decided to change all of the ignition components just to be sure. I got the motor to start several times before I started to change things over. Disaster struck when I was setting the points and the set screw broke off in the mag plate.

mgsolakis
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I have a parts motor- what would be the better/easier choice? Is it easy to remove the plate?

1) just take the mag plate off the other motor.
                      2) drill out the screw and re-tap the thread?

Steve A W
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Member of the MOB chapter.
                        I live in Northwest Indiana

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.