Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude Fleetwin 4443

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Goman
    Participant

I got this motor running and everything appears to be working as it should. At sometime someone added a different model year lower unit. This arrangement doesn’t allow the latching tilt mechanism to operate as it is being held out by the lip of the upper pump body as shown. I see an offset here on other models which allows the latch to operate. The upper pump body number here is 202599 which I don’t see on the other part diagrams posted by others. I guess my question is if I found the correct upper pump body would it bolt onto the lower pump body? It appears I could grind the lip off and make it functional. I just wanted to get some other opinions before I went any further with it.

Thanks for you help!
      Glen

billw
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I guess I am not understanding something here but it sure looks like there is an offset in the picture, to me…..Just to be clear, the offset holds the latch up and released in forward and allows the latch to lower and engage in reverse. It all looks like the same patina to me, as if the part is correct. Obviously, the lower gear case is different but that should not have anything to do with the latch. Does the hook mechanism move freely by hand? There should be a spring that holds it down and engaged, in reverse, when the offset has backed away from the latch.

Long live American manufacturing!

collectorinspector
        Participant

Take a pic of facing away from the transom of it.

I think that it had a problem years ago and someone twisted it 90 degrees?

Just a thort aye.

Probably wrong…………..just think’n.

B

Goman
          Participant

😀 Thanks Bill. I guess you can’t fix that which isn’t broke. I believe I understand now that it won’t lock down going forward which I don’t do anyway. I guess I was thinking of the lock down release on my "newer" outboards. Hard to believe a clogged fuel line is the only thing I found wrong with it so far. A prop shaft cap, shear pin and carb. rebuild and I’m in business.
            Thanks again!
            Glen

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.