Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude Lightwin problems

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    ausob-collector
    Participant

Hello all

Recently I got a 1964 3hp Evinrude Lightwin that I will be using on the back of my dinghy when I get it running.

Would someone by any chance have a online copy of the service manual for this motor that I could use?

Since buying it, I have checked electrics to be serviceable (it has a nice big spark on both cyl’s.), replaced head gasket, surfaced cyl. head, inserted helicoils in the powerhead as old threads were stripped completely, cleaned and put carburettor kit in the carburettor and cleaned the fuel tank but she won’t stay running.

She starts easily, runs for 20 seconds and then dies. Then I can restart her first or second pull immediately after she stops, but the same thing happens until she won’t start any more until after a break.
      I can keep it running by twiddling the low speed knob, but after a while she still stops.

Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this?

Cheers
      BP

The Boat House
      Participant

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by The Boat House.
        • This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by The Boat House.
        jasonh
        Participant

Sounds like a fuel flow issue. Pull the line at carburetor and watch fuel flow. There was originally a fuel filter in tank above petcock. If the filter is not present the petcock or small diameter fuel lines get get obstructed.

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

opening the tank vent screw may not be enough Under the vent screw are two small air holes which get crudded closed. you must see light. take piece of paper clip and push out the crud.

at the very least try the motor without the gas cap on the tank. if it runs better the 2 air vent holes are plugged.
            Under the gas cap is a small aluminum plate with 2 notches.

Rotate the plate to align notches with vent holes otherwise you can hardly see the 2 little air holes.

Worth a try…

btw did you clean out the low speed drip chamber on top of the carb where the dime size plug is located ?? read the article below.

dont give up on a great little engine. 😉

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repair.c … Manual.htm

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repair.c … une-UP.htm

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

ausob-collector
            Participant

Well, after cleaning the gas tank and lines, removing the old fuel filter from the tank and a new set of ignition wires she starts and runs now. It pumps plenty of water but won’t rev up. Isles down nicely but from about half throttle up it stays the same speed.
              Any ideas?
              Also, is the correct fuel mix for this 24/1 or 16/1?

Thanks you all for your help so far.

Cheers
              BP

The Boat House
              Participant

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by The Boat House.
                • This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by The Boat House.
                wiscoboater
                Participant

I believe a plugged exhaust could also cause the first round of problems you were having. If exhaust can not exit freely, the incoming air/fuel charge can not enter freely. Any internal combustion engine, 2 or 4 stroke is nothing more then a fancy air pump in it’s simplest terms. Air in, air out equally and efficiently = a smooth running efficient engine.

chris-p
                  Participant

I think every 3hp Ive gone through has had its exhaust cavity completely blocked with carbon!

ausob-collector
                    Participant

Ok, I will remove the exhaust plate next possible opportunity I get and check.

Thanks for all your help again

Cheers
                      BP

frankr
                      Participant

US Member

In your first post, you said you "checked the electrics", and it has a good spark. OK, I’m asking to what extent did you check the electrics? Your story strongly suggests bad (cracked) coils. If I am guessing correctly, you are wasting your time and money till you replace them. And of course there is the normal stuff like dirty breaker points. So..question is, have you really checked it out, or are you just accepting it on the basis of having spark. Having spark counts for very little in my book.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 59 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.