Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude lightwin won’t run

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    silvab7232
    Participant

Hello, I just recently went through a 1956 Evinrude lightwin, Cleaned carb fully, new coils, new points gapped, new wires, new plugs. The motor has great spark, but it literally only runs for 1 or 2 seconds and dies out. The fuel flows fine from the shut off and into the carb, the fuel vent on the cap is open also. I even messed with the carb adjustments but I can’t figure it out. Any ideas? Thanks

Mumbles
      Participant

Is that 1 or 2 seconds with the choke still out? It’s either flooding or running lean. Try richening the needle valves a bit.

silvab7232
        Participant

I’ve been moving the choke in and out, and I have tried to richen the needle valves already, still just firing for a few seconds then cuts out, I even just swapped carbs

chinewalker
          Participant

US Member

Do you have good flow or GOOD flow? The filters in the tanks are notorious for plugging up.

Also, the screen between the air horn and carb throat should be present.

The Boat House
            Participant

frankr
              Participant

US Member

Once the carb has filled it should run for a lot more than two seconds, even if it got no more flow from the tank. You probably have some problem other than carb/fuel. How’s the compression? Should be close to 80 psi.

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, you have tried a different carb with the same results…Yes, fuel flow is often an issue for these engines, and I have been fooled/stumped by goo in the copper line as well. Is the engine new to you? Has is ever run OK for you? Like Frank says, time to go back to the basics starting with compression. Are you sure the fuel supply is clean and fresh? Any signs of water on the plugs? Perhaps you have a leaky/blown head gasket. Does it look like the intake manifold has been messed with? Reed problems are rare on these engines, unless someone has messed with them or screwed up the gaskets…

silvab7232
                  Participant

I will defintally check the compression next, also I will check the copper fuel line and the tank, I seemed to be getting decent flow from the tank to the carb. Everything else should be fine. But the compression I defintally need to check

retiredoz
                    Participant

US Member

plug wires crossed ? Broken reed ?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by retiredoz.
                      jarheaddoc
                      Participant

I may be way off base with this, but is it possible that the exhaust manifold is so plugged up that the exhaust gases can’t get pushed out?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.