Evinrude lightwin won’t run

Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude lightwin won’t run

This topic contains 11 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Tubs Tubs 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
    silvab7232

Replies: 14
    Topics: 20

Hello, I just recently went through a 1956 Evinrude lightwin, Cleaned carb fully, new coils, new points gapped, new wires, new plugs. The motor has great spark, but it literally only runs for 1 or 2 seconds and dies out. The fuel flows fine from the shut off and into the carb, the fuel vent on the cap is open also. I even messed with the carb adjustments but I can’t figure it out. Any ideas? Thanks

Mumbles
    Mumbles
    Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4200
    Topics: 425

Is that 1 or 2 seconds with the choke still out? It’s either flooding or running lean. Try richening the needle valves a bit.

silvab7232

I’ve been moving the choke in and out, and I have tried to richen the needle valves already, still just firing for a few seconds then cuts out, I even just swapped carbs

chinewalker
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 456
    Topics: 17

Do you have good flow or GOOD flow? The filters in the tanks are notorious for plugging up.

Also, the screen between the air horn and carb throat should be present.

Tubs
    Tubs
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 2406
    Topics: 147

Also run a pipe cleaner through the fuel line it self.
    A partial blockage can let fuel through but not
    enough so it will stay running.

--

frankr
    frankr
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 4471
    Topics: 43

Once the carb has filled it should run for a lot more than two seconds, even if it got no more flow from the tank. You probably have some problem other than carb/fuel. How’s the compression? Should be close to 80 psi.

fleetwin
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2753
    Topics: 33

OK, you have tried a different carb with the same results…Yes, fuel flow is often an issue for these engines, and I have been fooled/stumped by goo in the copper line as well. Is the engine new to you? Has is ever run OK for you? Like Frank says, time to go back to the basics starting with compression. Are you sure the fuel supply is clean and fresh? Any signs of water on the plugs? Perhaps you have a leaky/blown head gasket. Does it look like the intake manifold has been messed with? Reed problems are rare on these engines, unless someone has messed with them or screwed up the gaskets…

silvab7232

I will defintally check the compression next, also I will check the copper fuel line and the tank, I seemed to be getting decent flow from the tank to the carb. Everything else should be fine. But the compression I defintally need to check

retiredoz
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 471
    Topics: 46

plug wires crossed ? Broken reed ?

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatar retiredoz.
    jarheaddoc

Replies: 3
    Topics: 3

I may be way off base with this, but is it possible that the exhaust manifold is so plugged up that the exhaust gases can’t get pushed out?

johnny

Replies: 23
    Topics: 15

You didn’t mention replacing the condensers. That is something I would suggest trying.

Tubs
    Tubs
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 2406
    Topics: 147

I may be way off base with this, but is it possible that the exhaust manifold is so plugged up that the exhaust gases can’t get pushed out?

I had that happen on a 1960 many years ago when the oil
    wasn’t what it is today. There was only a hole about the
    size of a pencil through all the carbon for the exhaust to
    go through. That motor would run OK up to mid-range
    but wouldn’t speed up after that. If it was totally blocked
    (Halloween prank – potato up the tail pipe) it wouldn’t
    start all.

--

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.