Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude Mate 1939-1941 Model Number

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    soflaevinrude
    Participant
      quote kees:

Hi
      I found an old Champion J-4 in my Evinrude model "MATE"
      looks original ( I hope )

😎

Cool! I’m getting a nice 1939 Mate (4263) next week and buying a Champion J-4 for it to keep its original originality. 🙂

soflaevinrude
      Participant

Thanks again Garry. I have a early Mate coming next week and want to get the correct plug for it! Jim

garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

The J-4 you buy today is a lot colder plug than the J-4 of the 1930s. The new Champion number is 592.
          . . 😕

soflaevinrude
          Participant

Thanks again Garry for the information. I’m buying a vintage J-4 so I should be good to go to maintain originality.

Indian Group Leader
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Some of you guys may be losing your touch. Perhaps SoFlaEvinrude should take a look at the freeze plug on the side of the powerhead. If the numbers stamped on the freeze plug do not match the model/serial number plate, someone may have stolen a transom clamp assembly or serial number plate from a Cub and put it on a Mate. If the numbers match, someone may have installed some Mate side covers on a Cub. Not sure why anyone would want to do that, but I have seen stranger things than that done to these old motors.

Tom

soflaevinrude
              Participant

Tom, This is not the motor that I mentioned looking at when starting this thread. Instead I’m getting an original 1939 Mate Model 4263-033XX. Thanks, Jim

Indian Group Leader
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

No problem, Jim. I was just surprised that nobody mentioned the freeze plug information.

I purchased a nicely restored Mate a short time ago and quickly discovered two problems. The serial number plate was from a Ranger and the freeze plug appears to be from a Sea King Midget based on the numbers. Thanks to the resourcefulness of Doug Penn, it now displays a proper Mate serial number plate on it. Since I traded a couple of motors for it that were not all that expensive to me, I am pleased with it as is. I quickly point out the freeze plug flaw when I talk with others about it. Regardless, I still like it, and actually, that is all that counts in the long run. You have to please yourself.

Tom

soflaevinrude
                  Participant

Thanks Tom for the good information. I’m doing some trading myself and I agree, You have to please yourself. Jim

garry-in-michigan
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

I should have mentioned that. Of course that would be covered on the Mate. . . 🙂

soflaevinrude
                      Participant
                        quote SoFlaEvinrude:

Tom, This is not the motor that I mentioned looking at when starting this thread. Instead I’m getting an original 1939 Mate Model 4263-033XX. Thanks, Jim

Got my Mate today. Very happy checking it out and seeing the matching numbers on both the ID plate and freeze plug. Great seller. I did some motor swapping too along with some cash and was able to get the one I wanted. Thanks all for your informative replies. I’m anxious to learn more about these old outboards.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.